Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing in Liverpool

Tuddy76

Hi

I'm hoping to get a proper first light with my new telescope tomorrow night (Tuesday night). From what I can tell from the weather forecast it's supposed to be clear.

I'm wondering if any members from Liverpool can give me any pointers towards good observing sites, either for tomorrow night or for the future.

I'm also open to any suggestions for observing sites in the North West for the future.

Cheers

Chris.

Yes good luck from me too, shame it doesn't get dark very early this time of year.

Captain Chaos

p.s. don't forget to line up the finder in the daylight. :D

Thanks for that Captain. I had a go at that when I first set it up. It uses the Red Dot finder, and I was pleased with it's accuracy.

I actually took it out briefly last week, but I don't consider it a first light as it was more of a drunken "I can't wait anymore", and although I could see Saturn, my eyes couldn't focus properly... :D. Finder worked a treat though.

So I'm still looking forward to that first proper night.

I finally managed to get the telescope out last night.

I managed to get Saturn lined up, if not quite focused properly. I had taken the eyepiece out to transport the telescope but had taken it apart incorrectly which meant a lot of messing round trying to fit it back correctly, which I didn't really manage. It was quite windy so the image was shaking quite a bit and I was struggling with the altitude adjustment on the telescope mount. There were four of us that went out so we didn't get much time at the eyepiece before the clouds rolled in (after about half an hour).

All in all I guess I should have been really disappointed, but I'm not. The fact of the matter is I've learnt a lot of really important lessons. In the cold light of day I've managed to sort out the eyepiece problem, and now know how to assemble it properly. I've also worked out what I was doing wrong with the altitude adjustment. I also know that this isn't something I'm going to master overnight (I love a challenge). I also found somewhere that is much clearer than where I live, and seeing the stars come out (albeit briefly) reminded me why I wanted to get into this in the first place. My friend is also really wanting to get a telescope of his own now. :D

I now can't wait to get out again on a clear night and have more time observing and experimenting with lenses and sites etc.

For those of you that maybe interested. The spot we found was by the coastguard station in Blundellsands (Liverpool). Although it's not perfect light wise, it's much better than the residential areas. The only thing I would say is that with any public area that's dimly lit, I couldn't say how safe it would be to be there on your own. I think it may be more of a winter viewing place, when the nights are colder and people are less inclined to venture out. I'm thinking of venturing out a bit further afield, maybe up towards Parbold etc. As ever suggestions are welcome.

Chris.

Think about contacting the Liverpool Astronomical Society, they are a great bunch, and meet at the Pro catholic cathedral,can't find the telephone number at the moment, but Google it, it should prove well worth your while.

Cheers Frank

Think about contacting the Liverpool Astronomical Society, they are a great bunch, and meet at the Pro catholic cathedral,can't find the telephone number at the moment, but Google it, it should prove well worth your while.

Cheers Frank

Thanks for the tip Frank. I'll certainly look into that.

Archived