sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

UARS reentry

DarkerSky

think ive seen a pass about 15 mins ago in over portsmouth heading south was like two meteorites together same speed very bright anybody else see anything two bright lines down the sky..

I've been watching the SpaceFlight track periodically and I don't think that was UARS - if I'm looking right it's not been over UK for >30 mins. The fact you mention two meteorites makes me think it might've been the ISS, but I've not checked the passes for that recently so couldn't say for sure.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ive got a video camera set up just play it back and their is a quick flash on there looked like a meteorite lucky had jupiter in the picture it was about the same size and brightness didnt pick up the trail though and i think to quick for iss so must have been a meteorite will get it on the computer tomorrow and have a play around with it

Hi folks, Longtown, 55.0070°N, 2.9620°W is my location. I am sure I have seen it. Roughly 00.11ish.

I am a beginner so would it make sense if I said I was facing South but looking over to the West and when I looked back round there was something blurry but bright to my left, quite high up. I don't know how I did not notice it before though, it must have gone right over me without me seeing it.

According to HA the next time will be 01.04, I will be back out, but it looks like clouds are coming in.

Loving the thread

Dt

As of 7 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 90 miles by 95 miles (145 km by 150 km). Re-entry is expected between 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 3 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

From NASA:

Update #11

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:30:46 AM UTC+0800

As of 7 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 90 miles by 95 miles (145 km by 150 km). Re-entry is expected between 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 3 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

No chance of me seeing anything with this cloud and rain though....

Edited by yeti monster

Latest from Nasa -

Hi

I went out this morning at around 2.35 am BST and was looking ESE, perhaps 20 degrees. Saw a very bright green streak, best described like a dropping firework but travelling more horizontally. Was this part of the satellite? I've seen lots of satellites crossing before, and a few shooting stars, but nothing like this, too me completely by surprise.

thanks