Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter sept 23rd

neil phillips

Your processing is so good it makes up for the scopes lack of inches. There are a lot of images with fantastic detail but they lack that smooth natural look. Talking of cooling down time I may try fixing a fan to my scope just to see if it makes any difference.

Might be worth getting a Orion fan, and fitting it with rubber bands either side. Like Luis does. The OO fan is low vibration but it wouldnt hurt to use rubber bands. then you can image with the fan running. i cant do that ive got a pc fan on mine. images are better turned off. I often start it. then turn it off as i capture. The processing on this was pretty basic. didnt even create a optimized avi before feeding to reg 5. ( though ill reprocess this that way i think ) i havent really been using ppm centre. though i may experiment with it at some point. The smoothness, is something i pay close attention too though. thats something i have watched closely on this. I always do

Cheers for all the good feedback

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn. now I'm going to need a bigger scope.

Fabulous images there, Neil !

I've manages to just about get my ideas right webcamming jupiter -

but I'm nowhere near ready to publish any images yet. besides, my newt is minute in comparison, and aperture is everything.

managed to get the equatorial belts though

We all have to start somewhere, i started with a 60mm tasco as a kid. If your interest grows and funds allow, then you can see what can be acheived with a £600 tube assembly. Though of course i have a good mount and camera too. Though i got good results with this scope on a vixen GP and spc 900 considerably cheaper

Interest isnt the problem. funds - well.. getting it past the missus thats the problem !:rolleyes:

I too started with a 60mm.. a drawtube refractor 2nd hand from a mate back in '87 - ready for the great mars oppo in '88, got a 3" cat from BC&F in '89, but didnt replace that till my current scope in '09 !

I sort of got back into it when I saw what others were doing with webcams and dslrs etc - I'd always intended to get into astrophotography, but never got round to it.

My next purchase may well be a decent mount - then we'll take it from there...:glasses2:

Archived