Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter sept 23rd

neil phillips

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice detail.

After trying (and failing) on several occasions to get *anything* even close to this, I have decided to go for Lunar images and try to get a better technique.

How much of this is down to technique, how much to the scope, and how much the camera?

I have the aperture, can get the high FL easily, focus is via the Steeltrack (so should be half way decent).

Is the DMK21 that much better than a modded webcam?

Hi Mike its difficult to quantify, But i would say all 3 are equally important. If the scope doesnt go sharp ( good collimation focusing ) then its impossible to recover anything later. Technique is important as in focussing, collimation, camera settings. Processing is important good data makes it easier but, ive taken shots that looked just ok, redone them, and they have looked much better. So its a hard question everything has to be good, including seeing. any weak links, means loss of performance. Not sure what else i can suggest ?

Hi Stuart its leaning in the red end for sure lots of colour saturation also makes it more difficult to get balance very neutral. Im not sure i could get much better balance with so much rich colour, maybe im not sure, will have to experiment. but less colour saturation is much much easier to pull off in a neutral colour way. Than what im presently trying. Fair comment though. might benefit with a touch less red. Added one with less saturation. No adjust of colour balance at all. To show what i mean

Hi Mike its difficult to quantify, But i would say all 3 are equally important. If the scope doesnt go sharp ( good collimation focusing ) then its impossible to recover anything later. Technique is important as in focussing, collimation, camera settings. Processing is important good data makes it easier but, ive taken shots that looked just ok, redone them, and they have looked much better. So its a hard question everything has to be good, including seeing. any weak links, means loss of performance. Not sure what else i can suggest ?

Thanks Neil,

Pretty much as I expected.

I think its going to be a case of practice, practice & more practice.

I'm struggling to get the collimation on my scope "just right", I found a newtonian quite easy, but the SCT is proving more difficult to master.

Add to that I have only imaged Jupiter when it was relatively low in the sky (Jupiter only hitting the highs a long time after bedtime for me :glasses2:), which means that the seeing has never been brilliant..

Focus was an issue, but that has been mitigated greatly with the addition of the Steeltrack.

So, It looks like I am getting some bits right, but need to work at the others.

Keep the images coming, it's good to have something to aspire to.

Mike

Superb images Neil i also prefer the less saturated one but both are top notch :glasses2:

Yes i think i agree, i do too. The morning after effect Al cheers

Hi Luis yes i did add a extra red into the mix, what with saturation, i think that explains the conversation about colour balance.I will do a more careful attempt soon

More to come.

Classy output from you again Neil. You seem to have penchant for producing superb gas planet images. What a pity Uranus and Neptune are out of reach :rolleyes:.

Not to worry, we're happy with your Saturn and Jupiter work.

You're a force to be reckoned with on these two .

It's time you got a C14, and a Bahamian base. You'd give you know who a run for his money then alright maty :glasses2:.

Ron.

Very nice Neil :glasses2: (as usual)

Good to see the GRS playing ball. I always seem to catch it when it's on the other side...

Would you swap the newt for the right SCT?

I see there's a Tal 300K (22kg!) planned for this year. Not sure whether it will make it these shores?

Cheers

Thanks Taff

Jon yeah ill swap it for a C14 excellent condition. I wouldnt swap it for a C11, i would have a C11 as a second scope for a shoot out, (yes i rate these optics that much ) i belive its performance is much closer to a C11 than 9.25. Ive seen that time and time again. which is remarkable if you consider this is only about a half inch bigger than a 9.25. You aint got a C14 have you lol ? my Newts just grunted at me

I tell you what Neil I've just been looking through the C14 images on the CN forum and you are matching them punch for punch!

Most of it is seeing and cooldown i think Stuart, the C14 doesnt cool very well DP says it needs to be kept outside. under the right conditions with stable conditions the C14 will easily beat this Newt the laws of physics and resolution im afraid but at 245 mm uk skys over houses. It holds its own doesnt it. But look what Luis does with the 12" GSO optics. So great PV figures dont always mean much. What matters is a nice figure with no turned down edge or other nastys. Unfortunately one mass produced scope can have a great figure while another may not, its very hit and miss. Ill bet if Luis optics were tested they would come out at least 1/8th pv with a smooth figure. and as mentioned no nasties. Its weird stuart i dont belive ive hit great seeing yet. certainly not last night, it was fair in places, but fair in places can produce these images. What i want is complete calm. Im working on it.

Most of it is seeing and cooldown i think Stuart, the C14 doesnt cool very well DP says it needs to be kept outside. under the right conditions with stable conditions the C14 will easily beat this Newt the laws of physics and resolution im afraid but at 245 mm uk skys over houses. It holds its own doesnt it. But look what Luis does with the 12" GSO optics. So great PV figures dont always mean much. What matters is a nice figure with no turned down edge or other nastys. Unfortunately one mass produced scope can have a great figure while another may not, its very hit and miss. Ill bet if Luis optics were tested they would come out at least 1/8th pv with a smooth figure. and as mentioned no nasties. Its weird stuart i dont belive ive hit great seeing yet. certainly not last night, it was fair in places, but fair in places can produce these images. What i want is complete calm. Im working on it.

Your processing is so good it makes up for the scopes lack of inches. There are a lot of images with fantastic detail but they lack that smooth natural look. Talking of cooling down time I may try fixing a fan to my scope just to see if it makes any difference.

Damn. now I'm going to need a bigger scope.

Fabulous images there, Neil !

I've manages to just about get my ideas right webcamming jupiter -

but I'm nowhere near ready to publish any images yet. besides, my newt is minute in comparison, and aperture is everything.

managed to get the equatorial belts though !

Archived