Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Welcome

jasonp

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Given that the HBB group covers 1600 square miles the most convenient meeting place is north of Luton (there's too much urban sprawl south of Luton, the northern area is more spread and looks to be smaller villages and open areas away from the majority of light pollution). I am currently looking into suitable observing sites in the area although if any members know Barton-Le-Clay and the surrounding towns and villages then please contact me.

Thanks,

John

Anyone know of somewhere where they turn the street lights out in the three counties. I've family in Dawlish, Devon, where they do this and the difference is staggering. First time I saw the Milky Way was there after lights out. Bit fr to go on the off-chance though.

Hi

I've just sent an email to Central Beds Council enquiring after suitable observing sites for the group. I have received an email acknowledging same and will respond within two working days so I will update Thursday onwards as and when I receive feedback.

i live in markyate and would be up for a local meet. i wonder if the dunstable downs gliding club would let us use their field for a meet, the downs would do a good job of blocking out the LP from luton? just an idea

i also meant to add that the Univeristy of Herts Observatory have posted up their open evenings for this yea. The observatory site is located between hatfield and Hertford, the first meet of "the season" is on the 4th Nov, at a cost of £4 pp

follow the link below for more info, the link at the bottom of the page allows you to book an open evening

Observatory - University of Hertfordshire

Response from Central Beds Council re observing sites:

Thank you for your recent enquiry, the Countryside Access Service of Central Bedfordshire Council owns a number of sites in this area, all of which are managed along side some of their own sites by the National Trust. I have spoken to and copied in Mr Jon Powell, Countryside Manager for the National Trust in the area. Both of us feel it is a really interesting idea - Jon will contact you directly on this matter.

If this option does not work out, please come back to me.

Jonathan

Jonathan Woods MCMI

Access Development Team Leader

Highways Strategy and Countryside Access Service

Response #2:

We manage a number of sites north of Luton including Sharpenhoe Clappers (TL065296) and Sundon Hills Country Park (TL047285). Both of these sites have public car parks which are open all the time but no other facilities. We also manage Dunstable Downs (TL 009195) which is to the west of Dunstable. At the Downs we have a visitor centre which is open during the day. There may be a possibility of opening it at night but you would need to talk with Pat Redman our Centre Manager (I’m copying her into this email).

I hope that this is of some assistance.

Regards - Jon

Jon Powell

Countryside Manager

National Trust

i also meant to add that the Univeristy of Herts Observatory have posted up their open evenings for this yea. The observatory site is located between hatfield and Hertford, the first meet of "the season" is on the 4th Nov, at a cost of £4 pp

follow the link below for more info, the link at the bottom of the page allows you to book an open evening

Observatory - University of Hertfordshire

Thx for the heads up. This might be a good way for the group to meet up and chat.

Thoughts / feedback welcome.

Archived