SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Letter from the council....

Uranium235

Today I received a letter from the local council stating that they are about to install new efficient "white light" steetlights. So would I be right in guessing that they're going to be of the LED ilk?

What are the emission lines of these lights? And what implications would it have for imaging? I'd assume they will make my clip filter redundant :glasses2:

Hopefully, they will also replace the fittings with something a bit more directional, and not just throw all those nasty photons up into the sky. I might get in touch with them for some more detail.

So, it looks like I'll be doing more narrowband from now on.

Thanks Peter, thats good reading. According to that the LED version (if full cutoff), have a lot less leakage.

But, after studying the emission lines, its not looking so great in terms of being able to block it (if needed) as they seem to have quite a broad band from 450 - 650nm, which is more or less everything.

Nadeem, lets hope they are as good as you say they are :glasses2: (fingers crossed!)

Rob

We got "done" a couple of years ago. The lights are definitely broad-band, so can't be filtered. However since they have hardly any upwards scatter I reckon my skies are now half a magnitude darker than before. I've gone from somewhere between 3.5 - 4, depending on the conditions to about 4.5 on the best, clearest nights.

Archived