stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

anyone self mod a 1000D?

Have a look at the Guides by Gary Honis those ar ethe ones I use when modding cameras

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) & T2i (550D) -Astro Imaging and Infrared Photography - by Gary Honis

Info on the DIY mod at the bottom of the page...

I used to prefer the mod schemes when they were for a single camera rather than a range with the differences noted...

I would print a hardcopy and tick of each stage as it was completed. I would have a compartment box handy so that the parts from each stage were put in different compartments... and work in a washing up bowl incase I dropped any of the small screws...

Peter...

Edited by Psychobilly
Have a look at the Guides by Gary Honis those ar ethe ones I use when modding cameras

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) & T2i (550D) -Astro Imaging and Infrared Photography - by Gary Honis

Info on the DIY mod at the bottom of the page...

I used to prefer the mod schemes when they were for a single camera rather than a range with the differences noted...

I would print a hardcopy and tick of each stage as it was completed. I would have a compartment box handy so that the parts from each stage were put in different compartments... and work in a washing up bowl incase I dropped any of the small screws...

Peter...

Good advise Peter.. :glasses2:

I did the mod over the summer with no problems.

I sellotaped each screw I removed to a sheet of paper as I went along to avoid getting them mixed up or lost.

Not had a chance to try the camera on the scope since the mod, but the camera takes photos fine, no noticable problems with the exception of white balance, which is to be expected.

regards

David

I did the mod over the summer with no problems.

I sellotaped each screw I removed to a sheet of paper as I went along to avoid getting them mixed up or lost.

regards

David

Exactly as I did, where they appeared in the picture is where I stuck them down. 1 1/2 hours from start to finish (350D)

I just got rid of the IR filter and put nothing back as replacement. I do not use it for anything but astro so... Did it myself without a problem. I do have a nice thumb-print on the metal casing on the back of the sensor for the next person inside the camera to admire :glasses2:

Hi Michael, also I would like to give you some advice I wish I had before carrying out this mod.

- "That" diagonal screw you encounter once you get to the removal of the Sensor (you'll know exactly which one I'm talking about when you get to it). I would take the advice in the comment on that step and drill a hole above the screw to access it and dont try it any other way unless you are sure you wont ruin your screwdriver or the screw head.

- Make sure you use the right type of screw driver for the job, I believe it's a #0001 philips type screwdriver. I managed to bork the heads of a couple screws and was unable to screw them in properly after due to this.

Other than that best of luck!

And I did the mod on my 450d myself last year and managed to damage the connectors of the ribbon cables. Result: cost me £270 instead of £150 to get it done. Just throwing that out in the mix so you don't think that that never happens.

A heads up, the 1100D is on a SINGLE Board, so if any repairs need to be done that is a default 250 GBP as they just replace any board. (you can buy a new canon for 300 GBP or less on Amazon or Argos around christmas time):glasses2:

Even if it is under warranty, and a USB plug falls off due to a defect, they wont replace it without a fight, they instantly catagorise any connectors missing as abuse/accidental damage.

The only way to get them to fix these is to force the dealer to send it to Canon UK and argue it was not accidental damage.

Canon are making the bottom end cameras too weak, and VERY expensive to repair.

I advise taking out accident cover for 3 years or so from amazon (50 GBP) as Canon will do ANYTHING to get out of repairing and charge you 250 GBP for a simple USB solder job lol

I know first hand, I am currently fighting Canon.

A good design would have the connectors on a seperate board, but more expensive to produce/assemble.

I would hope the higher end cameras are on multiple boards.

I just laughed at the dealer, and said return it ill solder on a USB free. Also; AVOID JESSOPS, rip off merchants.

Edited by Smeg
And I did the mod on my 450d myself last year and managed to damage the connectors of the ribbon cables. Result: cost me £270 instead of £150 to get it done. Just throwing that out in the mix so you don't think that that never happens.

Ouch! Yeah I'm am aware this is a delicate task and not to be taken lightly. But I'm (hopefully) getting a bargain basement job so not a huge loss if it goes wrong.

Thanks,

Michael

We also watched Garys utube video over & over :

Marked a line on the ribbon cables before disconnecting-put them back the same, kept the screws in one of those monthly pill box's, jumped up and down when it all worked :glasses2::hello2:

JCJC's dad. smeg just beat me to it....

Edited by JCJC
We also watched Garys utube video over & over :

Marked a line on the ribbon cables before disconnecting-put them back the same, kept the screws in one of those monthly pill box's, jumped up and down when it all worked :glasses2::hello2:

JCJC's dad

If you have another video camera (or any camera with video recording) handy, record what you do and play it back if in doubt lol.