Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using eyepieces with camera?

Hi can someone help with this problem? I have a Canon 400d and a Skywatcher Newtonian. I bought a t-ring over the weekend to conect the two together and that works fine, but, I don't know how to use the eyepieces with the two. Do I need another adapter? Or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

The Skywatcher 1.25/2" R&P focuser has a 'Direct SLR connection'. Unscrew the outermost part of the focuser to reveal a T-thread and screw the camera with T-Ring fitted onto it. You will need another adapter if you are to use eyepieces. A number are available.

I have the Celestron C8-N, which I believe is similar?

I tried an eye-piece projection adaptor and there is insufficient backfocus (inwards travel in the focuser) to allow the camera to focus :D

If you have a 400d you would do prime focus photography.

You put the camera body on the focusser and use the telescope as the lens.

You only need an eyepiece for afocal imaging if you have a camera that does have a lens that can be detached.

Cheers

ian

You can us an eyepiece if needed as Steve says you'll need another adapter.

The higher magnification will make the image darker & larger so the tracking will have to be better than for prime focus photos

Hi,

It sounds like you need a universal camera adaptor or tele-camera adaptor for eyepiece projection between your scope and the T-ring on your EOS 400.

If you can lay your hands on the new Optical Vision Ltd. catalogue have a look under Sky-Watcher Astro' Telescope Accessories

at the bottom of page 37 where camera adaptors are shown. I have the Tele-Camera adaptor which is a bit heavy but works fine with the EOS 350D (can't afford the 400 ) and should be O.K. with your set-up. If you can't get their catalogue the same details

are on their web site www.opticalvision.co.uk.

Best of luck.

Dave

Archived