NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anyone own a Celestron CPC 1100 GPS Telescope

Hi all ,does anyone own a Celestron CPC 1100 GPS Telescope?Im looking into buying one and i just want some advice about the scope,Im hoping to build an observatory shortly after christmas and i want a scope that i can use for imaging but is portable enough to take to a dark site and stick on a tripod (my budget is about £3000 for the scope),thanks.

Hi Taffy 2

I have the CPC1100 and for such a large scope it is certainly well designed for one person set up i would call it portable within reason as long as you have a biggish car i have a KIA SEDONA and it easy goes in that the trouble for a smaller car is scope only breaks down into 2 parts tripod and fork arms/ota tripod is no problem but the fork arms/ota is quite a big lump but if you have a car that can accommodate it is certainly doable to get to a dark site and set up

Kevin

Big but possible, though I reckon I'm getting too old for lifting that kind of scope! I took a 10 inch SCT to Spain a long while back though, touring in an Astra.

If you are thinking about DS imaging in your observatory I would be worried about the mount for autoguiding accurately at those focal lengths. Brilliant for planetary and lunar though, and a treat visually.

Olly

I know how you all feel lugging my 300p flextube about can be a bit of a strain,to be honest olly I havnt give the accuracy much thought,it's definitely something to think about.

If you want to do DS imaging it is, believe me, the only thing to think about. In imaging the mount comes first. Have a look here;http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/156524-m57-f-10-a.html

Olly

OMG thats an amazing image of the ring nebula,5.5 hours but what a reward,youve given me a lot to think about Olly.What mounts would you suggest,i know very little about DS imaging but thats the path i want to follow.I need to find the right combination of ota and mount.

It's a good image but the imager lost lots of subs, he says. How much time do you want to lose? To be honest I hate losing any so I go for a setup where I usually lose none. That just means one with more mount than telescope.

This is strictly personal but if I were to buy a telescope with something approaching three metres of focal length I would first spend a few years imaging at less than a metre. For one thing, long FLs need special nights, ones without wind and with good seeing. Do you get lots of those? If not, maybe a shorter FL would be more productive? The guys who come here with big SCTs get them out once or twice in a good week but opt for shorter FLs if the wind/seeing are not spot on.

If I were to buy a C11 (and the Edge is very tempting) I would not consider anything less than a Losmandy G11. Also on the list, the Tak EM200 which I already have, the Mesu2 which I have never seen, the Gemini, the AP Mach1, AP900 or AP1200, which I have seen here frequently, and obviously the Paramount. But now we are getting silly on price!! As you can see, these are expensive mounts but that's the name of the game with long FL imaging. I wish it weren't but I reckon it is!

Edit, just seen the wedge question. For deep sky a wedge is not optional, it is utterly essential. Surely no one would spend C11 money and then stick to 30 second subs, especially at F10. I truly detested using a wedge and fork SCT but that, again, is just me.

Olly

Youve certainly given me a lot to think about olly ive been reading all the other threads and looking at the setups the other imagers have,and for me at present your probably right working with a shorter FL would be better,the cpc1100 would be amazing for visual obs but,with a 3k budget i could get a very good mount and i could upgrade the ota later.

i dont have a long scope taffy_2 but why dont you try somthing like a 102" the skywatcher startravel is pretty bad with the focus but the celestron 102 apparently has a better focus, its quite small yes but its faster F ratio would be good to build up as olly said for the longer focal ratios

even the skywatcher quattro with a heq5 or eq6 mount is way under budget and you could ad a CCD to that as well (if i had the money thats what i would hopefullly progress to)

The CPC1100 has nicely placed handles, but is still very heavy. I needed to hold it close to my body to be able to move it any distance. Getting it into and out of a car, if there's any kind of bending and reaching involved, wouldn't be a good idea if you have any kind of back problem, or want to avoid developing one! I never risked it!

The CPC1100 has nicely placed handles, but is still very heavy. I needed to hold it close to my body to be able to move it any distance. Getting it into and out of a car, if there's any kind of bending and reaching involved, wouldn't be a good idea if you have any kind of back problem, or want to avoid developing one! I never risked it!

It's a killer moving it around. The number of times I have crushed my fingers whilst moving through doorways with the beast!! The extra size, width and weight due to the fork assembly is the real culrpit. If you are really keen on imaging, it is probably better to go for the Edge HD tube with a top grade EQ mount, but this means you will stretch your budget. Maybe the 9.25" or even the 8" (which will leave you plenty of change for enhancements like a hyperstar) These models are particularly suited to take the hyperstar which will drastically reduce the focal length but still leave that enormous aperture.

I bought my CPC1100 second hand because it was cheap and it will be a long time before I can justify buying another scope, but I get so much from it at the moment that imaging and more advanced astronomy is not on my mind too much. - Just wish it was slightly more portable!

i want to do proper widefield AP thats why im selling all my other scopes (the pst being for uni so an exception:( ) iv bought a megrez 72, gonna get a flattner for it, and use my 300d. you can get really good pics mind though with a DSLR and some old manual lens's

Archived