SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The ebay Watecs from Israel...

Psychobilly

Remember these from the "Social group"...

Watec WAT-902H 1/3'' CCD Monochrome CCTV IR B/W Camera | eBay

Anyone else who bought one got theirs yet?

Mine arrived today but its DOA... only displays a few stuck hot pixels in among the "snow" .. I have contacted the seller to see where we go from here... They do offer a 14 day warranty so lets see what they say :)

The cameras are tiny... but would be even better if they worked :)

The plot thickens but it's good news....

The camera won't as yet display anything sensible with the 1/3" auto iris lenses that I use on the SCB-2000 Samsung but I noticed when I removed the lens the camera started reacting to light levels... I put the M42 mount Fujinon 35mm on it through an adaptor and hey presto .. it works?

The CCD is 1/2" not 1/3" ... so thats another good thing.. unless you were planning on using it with 1/3" lenses which I was... :)

These Cameras are Tiny... It's almost Smaller than the 1.25"-C adaptor...

8WyjkwK

It gets Dwarfed by a 25mm Fujinon SLR lens and M42-C adaptor....

lGjQdkq

And Side by Side with a DMK21AU04AS

13qrak5

Here's a quick screen shot from the 7" LCD...

TlpCZZg

Peter...

I picked up one of the lenses the seller were offering at the same time,

It works fine, I dont have a CS adapter unless its CS on my image source i have not tried and thats in the obsy its raining and im made out of sugar LOL

I have had it running on my Dell Monitor with Composite input and also with a USB dongle 4 channel grabber.

Im sure mine is 1/3 but looks identical to yours.

Your wish is my command...

These were taken with the macro setup focus setting on the lens was fixed and the camera focused using the macro rail so reproduction ratio is the same for each image...

MLJHMoc

I have tried it looking outside... Samsung's they ain't.... the max expsoure time of 1/50s and no fancy processing results in a pretty noisy image...

I guess i'l find something to do with it... and with an IR floodlight it will probably be ok...

Using the analysis tools in CS3 extended. the SCB-2000 CCD is 305 pixels wide, the SCB-4000 is 399 pixels wide and the Watec 902-H is 397... if you do the maths this gives the same ratio as 1/3" to 1/2" give or take a gnats danglies...

This might explain it...

Auto-Iris

Lenses for CCTV Body cameras are also available as "Auto-Iris" types. These have a lead that connects to the camera itself, and provides the camera with the ability to let in more light in dark conditions, and less in bright conditions. This helps avoid the common problem of "sunrise glare", where the rising sun shines directly into the camera, completely blinding the camera's view.

Auto-Iris lenses are available as two types, DC-Drive and Video Drive. DC-Drive lenses use a control signal from the camera to adjust the iris size, whereas video-drive lenses adjust the iris size based on the brightness of the image in the video signal.

Lenses are either DC drive or Video Drive, but never both. Cameras very often support both modes, utilising a mini switch to select which to use, but not all cameras do this. Always check the lens and camera before buying both.

The lenses I have are are Direct Drive (DC) type ... It doesnt look like the watec camera works with them .. The Samsung can use either type, selected in the cameras menu...

If the camera is light sensitive with the lens removed it will be a faulty connection to the lens. If the lens isn't getting the correct signal the iris will remain shut. It doesn't overly matter what format the lens is other than giving a different FoV and possibly not covering the full sensor circle. i.e. a 1/3" sensor behind a 1/2" lens will give a smaller FoV than a 1/2" sensor behind a 1/2" lens. The WATEC cameras are very reliable, I use a lot of them for inspection work in reactors and rarely get a failure, the lens on the other hand are cheap as chips and can be a problem.

Cheers Kev...

I can't find a definite answer yet but it looks like theses don't work with Direct Dive Auto Iris lenses... The Samsung's can use both types of auto iris lenses (configured in the menus) so I bought the "cheaper" and these days more comon direct drive type rather than the "video" ones which have the drive electronics in the lens...

The lens from the seller should sort it out... $15 delivered

The 1/3" lenses I have heavily vignette on on the 1/2" sensor samsung the widest settings forming a circular image with black surround...

Peter...

well we all using the samsungs but are the watecs one of the higher type brands like the mailincam?

would it be ok in here i could make up a power / bnc cable.....

CCTV Security Camera Plastic Housing Dome Shell Case

Might struggle... the video and power connections are almost longer than the camera... I supose you could do away with the connectors and mod the camera so that they were made on flying leads...

It says the Dome is for "Board Cams" and they use tiny lenses... but you could mod the housing I suppose...

Peter...

The "video" auto iris lens arrived form Israel today and worked a treat stratight way... It's a c mount lens and comes with the 5mm thick Adaptor for using it with a CS mount .

Just confirms the fact that these particular Watec 902-H's from ebay don't work with Direct Drive Auto Iris Lenses..

Peter...

Hoping to get out for first light with the SCB-4000 a bit later...

Archived