SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cleaning eyepieces and lenses

I use an opticron microfiber cleaning cloth for my camera things, would this be ok for cleaning eyepieces and the front lens of my skywatcher mak ? Or would it damage the coatings.I have read about cleaning mirrors and presume glass optics are not so delicate?

I use 3:1 ratio of Isopropyl Alchohol and De-Ionised Water, for cleaning all of my optics, including the Corrector Plate on the 10'' LX200GPS.

If the film/residue build-up on the Corrector Plate is particulary stubborn, I increase the ratio of De-ionised water to IPA, to 1:1.

Its important to use 98-99% purity IPA, and this can be obtained to order, via your local Pharmacist.

Probably stating the obvious, but dust/grit is the No.1 priority, and must be removed with a decent 'Blower', such as the Giotto Rocket Blower (around £10 from a decent camera shop), before any attempt at cleaning.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Stretching the thread a bit. The problem I have been having is dust on the Toucam CCD when using high power barlows. I seem to be able to move the dust about but not remove it. There is very little space to clean the CCD.

John

Archived