Narrowband

wot no posts !

blacksaltire

Thanks for the welcome guys. I started off looking at the Meade LS6, asked for advice in the beginners section & am now onto this kind of spec :D

Skywatcher Explorer 190MN DS-PRO Mak-Newt Astrograph

Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO Synscan

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA - As a Guider

With the associated accessories I recon about £2500.00 plus a new DSLR camera. Good job I am going through a divorce or that would be grounds for one :(.

Dave I will indeed let you know when I am up & running, probably take we a few days to decide & order etc, but it would be good for me to have someone who knows a bit about this malarkey to guide me through it.:p

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a new start myself mate -- started in February, but through this group, learning so much so quick. Im laughing at your expectation of what your going to pay -- i set myself a budget when i started, and im probably 2-3 times that already lol. It gets very addictive very fast, so your setup at 2.5k, will probably end up 5k + LOL

Dave

Dave,

I appreciate your advice & yes I agree the funds will take a severe dunt,if what I am seeing so far is anything to go by.

Looking at

Skywatcher Explorer-250P DS Skywatcher Coma Corrector Skywatcher EQ6 PRO SynScan Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTAQHY5 Guide CameraSkywatcher ED Deluxe BarlowSkywatcher Panaview 2" EP 32mmVariable Polarizing Moon Filter

And I am already at £2000 more or less :D & now looking at imaging stuff & brackets, the list is endless & then someone will tell me the weight is too much, can't win.

Where abouts in Wishy are you, do you have a reasonably dark site?

Clear skies, although they ain't tonight in Carluke :( so I assume your the same.

Brian.

Im down next to the hospital - no chance of a dark sky here. I have sent 5 emails, 2 letters and 2 phone calls to the council now about the recycling place at nethertons lights polluting the sky, and worse of all causing grief for me, as they shine right in my bedroom windows as well. Their answer is its too expensive to get a cherry picker out to change the down tilt angle, and they will look at them when they need to replace a bulb. Have a good mind to smash the blumming things LOL.

I use a LP filter and it does a not bad job to be honest, but if im looking for a real good dark site, i head down the leadhills and out to the galloway forrest -- its amazing down there. Its the only properly recognised dark site in the uk

Dave

Dave,

That is a rather well lit area & must be a pain.

Once I get set up here I'll give you a nod as to how good the field at the back is for viewing & we'll go from there.Leadhills the land that time forgot :( your taking your life in your hands going up there.The Galloway forrest appears to be a very good site, might pay it a visit once I am confident with the scope.

I was on the welcome thread & there is another guy there from Wishaw. He was going on about the police helicopter being a common site down there. I know from my other hobby, plane tracking via an Airnav Radarbox that it is in the area quite a bit. You may want to drop into the thread & track him down, sorry can't remember the user name but the thread is headed "Hi from Glasgow" I think.

Clear skies.

Thanks Brian -- will do some hunting. The helicopter thats around quite regular is usually believe it or not network rails one. Theres quite a bit of trouble with theft on the railway, so they are out following the thieves. I have some great pictures of the chopper, with the logo on the side of it.

post-32568-133877769596_thumb.jpg

Next time i go to the galloway forrest i reckon i will probably spend more time with my camera rather than the scope. Its just so awe inspiring when you look up. I spent more time with my naked eye catching satellites flying by and just staring at the amount of stars than i did with the scope. If the field is good mate and the offer is there, then thanks i would look forward to it, and its always more fun when there is more than just yourself on a long night viewing

Thanks

Dave

As I mentioned it the post I did on the Welcome part of the site my wow moment was on a cruise about a year or so ago in the caribbean.Ended up down on the deck where the leisure facilities were at about 3 in the morning.All the facilities were shut & it was,very suprisingly, considering it was a lower deck & on a ship, a very dark area.The sight of the stars was breathtaking.I took a sun lounger, or in this case a moon lounger:D, & lay looking up for hours.

Stunning. Quite a few folk took the rip out of me later about it but I ended up taking them down & they were as awestruck.

It is amazing how when you get out of town the whold sky lights up.

Nice pics of the helicopter bye the way.

Clear Skies.

even with a quarter moon to pollute the skies heres what i got that night.

Not brilliant, as i didnt have the camera on the scope to track round so some stars have blurred slightly

post-32568-133877769639_thumb.jpg

That is a really nice image Dave very clear, well to my untrained eye anyway, how do you find the celestron scope?

How long does it take you to drive down to Galloway Forrest & how long do you usually view for?

regarding the helicopter, need to be careful when that's about , the light on them would give you a suntan.Would imagine it would be quite blinding down the other end of a scope.

Celestron scope is excellent, although i could do with that reduced fstop for DSO's. Im gonna invest in a focal reducer to get that F10 down to a 6.3, albeit with a wider field of view, which isnt bad sometimes. The forrest took me about an hour and a half, and viewing time, well, i screwed up with a few things LOL. Number one, when i left wishy it was 23deg, by the time i arrived with the sun just setting it was about 7deg. Now bear in mind i left with shorts a t shirt on expecting a nice warm night lol, by the time i left it was about -3deg ....... at about 11pm, also i had the wife and kids with me (this is a big mistake -- dad when are we going home, im bored etc etc). only about 4 hours viewing that night. Next time, i will be alone with a heater, warm clothes, no kids, no wife and probably get home at sunrise lol.

If the copter was about and shined the light down to me, then im sorry he would get a 250mW green laser up his hole to return fire LOL advising him to get to f.... LOL. Being honest the copter is only around during daylight. night time is a very rare thing

Dave...

Hi DMax, did you know there is an observatory at the top of Clydebank at the Old Cochno House? I have been trying to find out who runs it to try and blag a night and a wee shot, Do you have any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in a village called Killin,Just started earlier this year, looking forward to darker nights and clear skys, great places to go were almost 0 light polution a few miles up the road, only problem is moutains to if you are trying to look at something at a lower level but hey ho can't have it all.

I'm in a village called Killin,Just started earlier this year, looking forward to darker nights and clear skys, great places to go were almost 0 light polution a few miles up the road, only problem is moutains to if you are trying to look at something at a lower level but hey ho can't have it all.

Killin is in a lovely part of the country, if its a choice between mountains or light pollution, I'll take the mountains every time :)

Killin is in a lovely part of the country, if its a choice between mountains or light pollution, I'll take the mountains every time :)

Sounded like I was complaining, love it here including the mountains :laugh:

Hey Dash, Killin is a beutiful part of Scotland, spent meny a happy Sunday afternoon blasting around there on motorbikes. Have you joined up to CSOG??

Gary

Hi Gary, no not as yet, I heard of meetings going on at the Stirling memorial Doune so will try to get dates for that, as a complete novice it would benifit to do so.

Cheers

Paul

Archived