Jupiter with Dlsr or webcam?

jmfdiver

I have (tried to) image Juipter with my dSLR and the results was not good. I managed to get the moons alright but the planet itself is just a burned out yellowish blop. Even with low ISO and fast shutter it is no good (I posted one of the pics elsewhere on here). I have also tried taking a movie with the dSLr and use Registax but that ws no good either so I am quite sure webcam is the best way (although I havent tried that yet).

Th

A few nights ago I was playing around with my kit and I took a small video of Jupiter using BackyardEOS and my Canon 1000d. The video was extremely blurry but it turned out much better than I thought after I put it through Registax. It was my first Jupiter shot and I was quite chuft! It was taken at prime focus on my C925, also my corrector lens was completely steamed up. Next time i'll try using a 3x barlow to get a more detailed shot.

Though it's not as good as the shots using more suitable gear, it's still better than nothing!

Wavelets can be your friend :-)

Chris

post-27391-133877664054_thumb.jpg

A few nights ago I was playing around with my kit and I took a small video of Jupiter using BackyardEOS and my Canon 1000d. The video was extremely blurry but it turned out much better than I thought after I put it through Registax. It was my first Jupiter shot and I was quite chuft! It was taken at prime focus on my C925, also my corrector lens was completely steamed up. Next time i'll try using a 3x barlow to get a more detailed shot.

Though it's not as good as the shots using more suitable gear, it's still better than nothing!

Wavelets can be your friend :-)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Nice job there with BackyardEOS. you should be proud of this image.

Guylain

definately webcam, unless you feel the need to spend large amounts on a specific dedicated astro camera. The trick is how to get the images captured right. The folks here make it look easy, but it takes time & patience to get the level of detail you will see on the pictures showcased here.

TBH i would not know what its like to use a webcam so i would recommend seeing what others have done with each to decide.

i managed a single shot with a compact camera its unstacked and just the brightness turned down in the editor.from what i have read so far the webcam seems the better idea since you need multiple frames to stack in registax to get the best results.as for DSLR'S i am still working mine out.

post-27415-133877664419_thumb.jpg

Archived