SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to send telescopes internationally ?

Astrogeordie

Hi all,

I just sold a valuable scope (about 1000 quid) to somebody in Germany. I tried to book a service at parcel2go but I found out telescopes are "restricted items".

While I understand they are not liable for glass breakage, I was completely stunned to find out they do not take liability at all - so even if they lose the parcel, I get nothing back even when I forked out 47.50 for an insurance ! The "why" could not be answered by the guy of the service personnel I was chatting with.

So do you know any company that can ship a 28kg parcel (120cm x 32cm x 42cm) to Germany and offers a fair insurance ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that Parcel2go offers different couriers, but has its own exclusion list albeit it claims it is the courier services that have those exclusions. Strangely when I look at DHL directly, telescopes are not excluded from liabilities.

Just had a quick quote at FEDEX, they want nearly 100 quid for their "economy" rate. The problem is that business guys are getting much better rates ...

FLO uses FedEx to ship stuff out to Spain. Don't know their prices.

Try one of those "pre pay" independant couriers. More and more are poping up as lots are making their own work.

Fedex is too damn expensive, just make sure it is covered in their shipping, alternatively you could book a flight and pack it securely yourself in a good case, a return flight is sometimes cheaper than shipping from certain suppliers here.

Just meet him at the airport lol and then fly back. Cheaper even if you pay the excess luggage fees.

And no I am not kidding.

Hiya,

I tried UPS (no way to get even a quote) and Parcelforce (nearly 100 quid and again the silly exclusion of fragile items even when being lost!).

Royal Snail should be the worst way as they charge already astronomical amounts when sending anything to Germany heavier than 2kg.

Hi Mick,

thanks for this. Usually I try to keep it UK only but this is a special case. It is a rare old German telescope and the buyer has a collection of this brand of telescopes.

I just checked Royal Mail - 130 pounds insured to full value, but still unsure about the loss szenario. I think I will go to my post office tomorrow to learn more as at least then I would have my peace of mind. And the transport bill is shared between me and the buyer anyhow ...

TelescopeHouse use Interlink Express, they have free deliveries to customers on orders.

FLO use FedEx, their delivery is overpriced.

There is no such thing as free delivery , its just that Telescopes House prices include the postage cost built into their margin.

Hi Kharga,

taking a luggage piece of 28 kg, the overweight charges easily cancel out any gain. Especially if you book a flight on a cheap airline where you get charged for everything else ...

I got now Royal Snail (was at Post Office) - 130 quid including £1000 cover against loss (no breakage). At least there is a method but the price is shocking.

I wouldn't bother, it's more hassle then it's worth especially if it arrives damaged, stick with the UK only buyer.

Please, I hope people don't do that.

There is nothing more frustrating then missing out on a piece of kit for what at the end of the day is no good reason. Buyers know that it will cost extra for shipping especially if it is for a heavy item, the best option is to make it clear at the start that the buyer absorbs the shipping costs. When you are paying a grand for something an extra 100 doesn't seem that bad. And that goes for retailers too, luckily most UK retailers provide shipping to mainland Europe and at a cheaper cost than some closer to home, still it's annjoying when they don't. It's bad enough that there is little point in looking at US classifieds, I'd hate UK ones to go down the same path.

I don't know maybe I'm being selfish. :)

Hi Jarrod,

I know exactly what you mean ... I had the bummers quite often on Ebay when there is an interesting old telescope (e.g. vintage Japanese) and the showstopper is "buyer collects". I had one situation where a 60mm refractor where packing is really no rocket science was collection only, I really wanted it but nobody bid for it. The vendor wrote in his description he wanted to scrap it if nobody bids ... not sure what fate the scope met. As a non-motorist a "buyer collects" is for me as much a bummer as for you the "UK only" is.

Sadly, the silly regulations of some shipping companies as no cover for LOSS of items that contain glass mean that there will be more and more "collection only" or "UK buyer only".

Years ago I advertised a mount on another forum. I got a PM of a guy in Italy who wanted to buy it. I sweated water and blood as I had lots of scam emails before ... and finally it came out the guy was a long established user in the forum and a nice guy indeed. So it makes sense to ship abroad. At least in this case I could find that the person in question had hundreds of postings of all sorts of astronomical discussions what proved he was genuine. But still I had to get used to send something abroad albeit I did it often to Germany before.

Archived