Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cat5 or Cat 6 cable?

michaelmorris

I'm putting together a video astronomy set up for my local astronomical society. It uses a Samsung SDC-435 attached to a data projector 50 metres away. I'm going to use a balun and network cable system to get the signal from the camera to the projector. Is there any advantage in using Cat 6 cable over a Cat 5 cable?

Thanks

Unless you know you need cat6, in which case you'd not be asking the question, I'd go with cat5. AFAIR many of the requirements of cat6 aren't actually to do with the physical properties of the cable anyhow.

James

if ur using usb - ethernet - usb connector id go for cat 6 (as long as the usb adapters are cat 6 compatable) otherwise cat 5 would do the job, theorital cat 5 is 100mbits per second cat 6 is 1000mbits per second, but obv their not totally to the top end

cat5e should be fine for 1000Mbit/s too. I have to admit I assumed that was what the OP meant by cat5. I've not seen "real" cat5 for sale for a while (when I've been looking for cat5e), but that may just be the places I've been buying it from.

James

ahhhhh lol i didnt think the op meant cat 5e iv seen alot of cat 5's i bought a fair few from bankrupt stock sites expecting 5e and got 5 instead

if thats the case micheal, the cat 6 will have a higher bandwidth than the 5e but not much different to be honest from what i remember with my CCNA the cat 6s designed for the new ip protocol but it didnt go into much detail as it was being updated that year

Cat6 should support 10Gb/s AFAIR, but as you've already pointed out, to have a "cat6" network you need to make sure connectors and patch panels etc. comply as well. There are also more stringent specifications for bend radii and so on. Personally I can't see the point of paying the premium for cat6 unless you can meet all the other requirements too otherwise you're likely to end up with an expensive installation that doesn't perform any better than cat5e, hence my original response.

James

Archived