Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Benefits of using EQMOD...?

AndyUK

I reckon so!! It's 99% there at the moment I think!
Cool... :icon_confused:!
Whatever the theory, I did find it a "good thing" to do as accurate-as-possible polar alignment - Especially if traversing the meridian with Go-To's. (Not, I sense, too unreasonable!) That done, and with a few (judiciously chosen, with practice?) "Synchs", it converges rapidly to significant accuracy, and is a real dream to use... :rolleyes:
This I really like the sound of this - I once took a set of images of probably the absolute deadest part of the sky after my first attempt at a Meridian flip... It was WAY out!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AndyUK - a luddite astro imager? I'd never have thought those words would appear in the same sentence ;) Luddite visual observer though seems to go hand in hand sometimes :icon_confused:

EQMOD is in many ways a simplification. Not having to pore through a selection of alignment stars (my view is severely limited and the meridian cuts it in half) means one can choose whatever's available. Plus you get to focus using the screen and some nice measurements (like FWHM) to get the tightest possible focus. I'm sure you know all the benefits already, so I'll stop now :rolleyes: But being able to plug directly into the mount and not needing that ST-4 cable helps ;)

Hehe, I realised that after I'd posted! :( Never mind. I managed to image a few things on Sunday night. Should really have spent the time on just a single target, but I wanted to grab things before they disappear for the winter!

I feel the same way - hopping around targets to see and preserve them before they're gone :)

I feel the same way - hopping around targets to see and preserve them before they're gone :icon_confused:

I know, as the saying goes "the stars aren't going anywhere", but with so few usable nights to image with, I'm always feeling the pressure of time, racing to collect those images I want before those targets disappear for another year!

TBH, it would be a lot easier if I had an obsy and could roll off the roof just for an hour or two as the weather clears a bit, but that's not gonna happen at the moment.

@AndyUK - a luddite astro imager? I'd never have thought those words would appear in the same sentence...
Hmmm... Don't forget I'm much older than you and over those extra years I've learnt to hate any device that requires a driver / com port or "plug and pray" ;)! Still, I DO have some available time coming up this weekend, and I have the cable, so no excuse really... ;)

EQMod is pretty easy to pick up. Just make sure that you are using a USB-Serial convertor with a profile chip in it...they seem to work better than most. Check the Control Panel for the COM port that the USB-to-serial is using and change it in the EQASCOM panel (under Driver Setup).

The Polar Align routine is very easy. Star alignment takes a couple of minutes at the most. And being able to use a wireless gamepad during the initial setup is a real bonus.

Have a look at the Documentation and FAQ before you start. Chris Shillito also has a YouTube channel with loads of very useful How-To vids.

Have fun!

Okay, Okay... I get it...;)! The guy I bought my mount off also inucluded the FTDI cable, and I saw it in operation in his kitchen with an Xbox controller, so I know it CAN work... It's just me. I guess I've been using the handset for too long and I'm afraid to let go of it!

• 1 year later...

Thought i would hijack this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I have pier but not obs. Could anyone tell how you would select a new target with out having to go back into the house where the laptop would be ? or is a case of taking the laptop with you ?

Thanks

Archived