SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Benefits of using EQMOD...?

AndyUK

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes,

The use of EQMOD replaces the normal handcontroller....

It still needs to be polar aligned etc.

many thanks. I think I saw during my research that EQmod had a polar alignment feature but I understand that this is an aid to actual polar alignment

Yes, "EQASCOM" (as the driver is called) does have a feature that helps you polar align a mount equipped with a polarscope that has a Polaris reticule in it. That's so you don't have to bother with setting dials on polarscopes and the like.

Briefly, you turn the RA axis until the Polaris mark on the polarscope reticule appears at 12 o'clock. You then tell EQASCOM that this has happened and EQASCOM then calculates (given your geographical position and the current time) at which clock position it (the reticule) should be to match up with the current sky. You then ask EQASCOM to actually rotate the RA axis to make it so. Now that your reticule is "true" to the sky, you polar align the mount by making Polaris fit into the Polaris reticule mark of the polarscope.

I've only ever used EQMOD (bought a Syntrek mount, see). The polar align routine is great, and even in my bodging hands will easily get 200 second exposures without trailing. The alignment plugin is great too, allowing CdC to do GOTO duties.

Recommended!

I second the comments on EQMOD's polar align routine. It really is a piece of cake. I've always drift aligned after polar aligning as a matter of course. But EQMOD's PA routine is so accurate that I rarely have to make any post DA adjustments at all. It's speeded up my setup time no end. Great stuff! :icon_confused:. Wouldn't be without it now :rolleyes:.

Now I have my shoestring cable - Can I ask, do I keep my ST4 cable attached to my guide cam or not?

Is really up to you, you can remove the cable is you wish and pulse guide instead (in which case EQMOD applies the necessary corrections via the comms cable).

However, if you've happy with the performance and level of control you get over ST-4 guiding then there isn't really much reason to change. As far as EQMOD is concerned the only interaction it has with ST-4 is in setting the guidng rate.

If you read our guiding document you will find a discussion of ST-4 and pulse guiding.

Chris.

Oh God, please don't embarrass me... Erm.... Er... (no, not yet) :icon_confused:. I'm waiting for Sara to ask all the questions and sort it all out and then I'll have a go...

I know it's something that I really should adopt as the benefits are certainly there, but I really wanted to get my project to a "parking" point (and get the guiding sorted) before moving on to EQMOD... (Well, that's my excuse anyway!)

I am, yes. Love it :icon_confused:

I knew you were as we've chatted about it before ;) I meant the other Andy :(

Hope you're well - been imaging or observing anything interesting lately?

Oh God, please don't embarrass me... Erm.... Er... (no, not yet) :rolleyes:. I'm waiting for Sara to ask all the questions and sort it all out and then I'll have a go...

I know it's something that I really should adopt as the benefits are certainly there, but I really wanted to get my project to a "parking" point (and get the guiding sorted) before moving on to EQMOD... (Well, that's my excuse anyway!)

Moving to EQMOD just requires an evening or two indoors to get acquainted with it before going out. I rate it quite highly now since last time we spoke I'm getting more of a 'feel' for it now. It's well worth moving to, it'll save you a lot of time and money too if you consider the mount limits feature which'll prevent your mounted kit from crashing into the tripod like mine almost did last night!

All the best,

Mike

I found Chris' youtube video'd idiot proof and since you'll have you laptop you can watch them when you get stuck. Once you get all the programmes talking to each other you can be using it's basic goto functions that night. I'm an idiot concerning computers and astronomy and it's made everything I couldn't do easy. I blumming love EQMOD!

Mike - Okay, I'll come clean(ish)... It's probably because I'm a little luddite... and lazy... and have too much other stuff going on. I have a few weeks off in a couple of weeks though, so if it's something I can do indoors (and I can send the family out shopping for a few hours), I should get the chance to try it out... (I also need to get some more flat exposure settings - I never did finish them off!)

(Sara - Hopefully 2 weeks will be enough time for you to get it all sorted? :icon_confused:)

Whatever the theory, I did find it a "good thing" to do as accurate-as-possible polar alignment - Especially if traversing the meridian with Go-To's. (Not, I sense, too unreasonable!) That done, and with a few (judiciously chosen, with practice?) "Synchs", it converges rapidly to significant accuracy, and is a real dream to use... :icon_confused:

Thanks for that explanation - It would certainly take a bit of my guesswork out of the equation!

PA was something I always struggled with but to give you an idea how accurate this is it kept Jupiter in the centre of view for four hours on Sunday.

It's dead on and easy.

I knew you were as we've chatted about it before :rolleyes: I meant the other Andy ;)

Hope you're well - been imaging or observing anything interesting lately?

All the best,

Mike

Hehe, I realised that after I'd posted! :icon_confused: Never mind. I managed to image a few things on Sunday night. Should really have spent the time on just a single target, but I wanted to grab things before they disappear for the winter!

Archived