SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader UHC-S Filter: Advice needed

lukebl

Hi,

Much to my surprise and delight, I am now the proud owner of a 2" Baader UHC-S Filter which I unexpectedly won from BBC Sky at Night magazine, and just wondered if anyone can give me any info on its usefulness.

I already have Ha, O-III, RGB and LP filters for imaging, and wondered if this one would add anything to the collection, or whether the existing ones would do everything I need. I see that it basically blocks all but Ha & O-III, so could it do the job of those two together?

It's a visual filter rather than an imaging one and should be pretty helpful in your scopes for looking at objects such as the Veil (the Veil through a UHC filter in a 10" scope is pretty stunning). If you only image then I'm not so sure you'll find it as useful :(

James

It's a visual filter rather than an imaging one and should be pretty helpful in your scopes for looking at objects such as the Veil (the Veil through a UHC filter in a 10" scope is pretty stunning). If you only image then I'm not so sure you'll find it as useful :(

James

Thanks James,

Sounds like it's well worth keeping in my collection for visual stuff. I haven't managed the Veil visually in my suburban location (although I have imaged it), so it sounds like this will be rather useful.

Would it effectively replace, and be better than, my LP filter?

Would it effectively replace, and be better than, my LP filter?

Yes, but only on nebulae. Objects like galaxies, star clusters etc won't really benefit as the filter cuts out too much of the light whereas it's designed to allow more of the light from emission nebulae through.

James

Archived