IC 1805 - Heart and Soul

swag72

This is a culmination of 2 nights and a total of just over 8 hours 20 minutes worth of data, captured with my modded 1000D and my 70-200/2.8 lens at f/4.5. The subs were 603 secs each (don't ask why the extra 3 seconds!) and a 12nm Ha clip in filter was used.

Over all I think this has turned out OK, but I just wish I could get rid of the horizontal banding. I have run it through Topaz Denoise and the banding option, but it's still there. Noels Actions aren't touching it either. Perhaps there's a band in the sky?!!! :(

post-18339-133877662113_thumb.jpg

Remote focusing didn't work on the 1000D, but Chaos Crystal is a brilliant application for lining up each night.

It works fine on mine tried it with the 70-200 f4L and the 24-105f4L...

I double checked before posting the pic of what to press...

Its a halfway house the later bodies allow me to switch to manual focus and rmeote focus .. with the 1000D I had tyo leave it on auto but use the <<< << < > >> >>> buttons to adjust the focus...

I might need to check the Custom function settings in case you have to have shutter rather than focus priority set...

I'll check when I get home later... and do a more detailed how to...

Peter...

I see no banding! I see tons of signal and a nicely framed Heart and Soul but, woe is me, no banding. What am I doing wrong??

If this fine image were mine, which alas it is not, I would work on the contrasts. To me, Ha thrives on contrast. I'd either give it the old Noel's Enhance Local Contrast or have a go myself by creating small steps in Curves. I don't think that in Ha, just because you have enough signal to turn the whole screen white, you should feel you have to do so! (Not that you've done that, but I'm trying to make a point.)

Olly

Nadeem has had a shifty at this and the banding that I see is where the 2 frames from 2 nights haven't been correctly aligned. Working on that at the moment!!

Thanks for your comments Olly, Would you suggest pushing the black more then to bring out the nebula or actually lightening the whites? I ask as I had blown highlights on this already and thought it best not to push it much further.

Cheers John - Can I just ask regarding RegiStar - Do you need to have a stretched image to get it to align or can you work straight out of the DSS files? I ask as I am trying to align, with no success as it can't find any stars. It's all in Ha, don't know if that affects it?

No stretching needed for Registar. It easily aligns a pile of jet black screen views. The only thing it doesn't like are flipped images, which need de-flipping first.

On the contrasts I'd just try a variety of curves, tending to look for opportunities to boost local contrasts. Say you are getting to about 80 percent stretched, stop the usual routine and play around a bit. The middle of the Soul looks a little flat to me so I might pin some of the moderately bright signal and put a little upward kink in the curve above that to get more of a difference, more 'modelling' - but only emphasizing contrasts that are there already, not inventing them! Good heavens, no painting!!!

When you say the highlights were blown, do you mean in the capture stage or just in the stretch? If itt's at the stretch stage, that's why I start thinking about contrasts before I'm fully stretched and also why I leave plenty of room to to the left of the peak. You want add contrast while keeping within the full dynamic range, not by clipping at black or white.

If I'm going to add the Ha to red at some point (I hope you have this in mind for yours!) I go a bit mad on the contrasts in the Ha in a dedicated version because they will end up very diluted in the final brew. I worry about creating a big flat pink-out otherwise.

Olly

Brilliant Peter - Will have a go with that next time I'm out - Thank you.

Cheers Olly - For some reason Registar won't play with my 2 images. I'll await an update from Nadeem!

You mean the two with banding? It might be thinking the artefacts are stars, maybe? You are dead sure they are not flipped? I seem to think DSS sometimes flips things or am I dreaming? I rarely use it,

Olly

no more fiddling or the core's going to blow

Nicely done by Nadeem. The 'rude bit' (for which I have my own nomenclature!) is right on the limit and there is much more variety in the upper mid range, notably in the Soul. A very good capture and a bit of SGL combined resources go a long way.

Olly

Thanks to Olly and Nadeem, here's the 2nd process of this nebula. Registar used to get rid of the alignment issue and note taken for some more contrast in the soul!

Would welcome your thoughts if you think there's an improvement or not.

post-18339-133877662766_thumb.jpg

Archived