sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Time to get serious !

leemanley

Hello all, had my scope for a month, have really enjoyed tinkering about and getting used to it, but now I think it's time to buckle down and really get learning what is where and when. So my question is to anyone willing to help is, which planet could I realisticly try to find in the coming weeks ?

Agree with niclander. I had a pig of a job finding Neptune a few weeks back, and in the end only decided that I'd seen it because there was nothing else that fitted the bill. It wasn't possible to see anything significant in the way of a disc in my ST120.

If the cloud ever disappears I might have another go with the 127 Mak.

Uranus was visible last winter with the ST102, and I could even discern some colour, so it's just a case of finding it.

Jupiter is visible with the naked eye.

If you can wait until the small hours Mars may well be visible, too. I've not yet seen it myself though, so I can't say how easy it is to find. Just that one to go and I've got the set, though :(

James

Agree with niclander. I had a pig of a job finding Neptune a few weeks back, and in the end only decided that I'd seen it because there was nothing else that fitted the bill. It wasn't possible to see anything significant in the way of a disc in my ST120.

I can second that. Located what I am 90% sure is Neptune two weeks ago with my Skywatcher Heritage 130P. Having printed quite a good sky chart from Cartes du Ciel I knew where to look for it but I sure could not tell the 8mag "point of light" that had to be Neptune from the other nearby 8mag "points of light". Guess it takes better seeing, more experience or a better scope to really make out the disc.

Uranus on the other hand was considerably easier and (more or less) clearly visible as a tiny blueish disc.