SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101 Supernova

philj

Managed a couple of hours in the bright moonlight last night bagging some double stars in pegasus visually but had a slight aside with the Mintron to try for the supernova.

Visually in the Meade 127 EDT I could see the SN but hardly anything of M101 because of the bright moonlight swamping contrast. With the Mintron at full integration it was pretty much the same, you could just make out the core of M101 with the contrast cranked up to make up for the moonlight, the sn was very obvious though.

I took 2 minutes of frames (about 600) and processed in registax then had to work hard in photoshop to get the galaxy but here it is:

Phil

Oh its the bright star just below and left of the dust:-)

post-14930-133877661605_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick

Galaxy only visible with a bit of Photoshoping the moonlight really reduced the contrast so all I could make out was the core with a few blobs of the major star forming regions in the brighter arms

It was good to get out with a scope again though

Phil

Hello Phil

You have really sold me on video astronomy. I will never forget that enjoyable evening at SGL6 viewing your laptop and seeing those DSOs. I now have this image of M101 and the SN so thanks I really must think seriously of entering this medium.

The only decision is what camera to buy and should I use a monitor or the laptop.

Mark

I've still yet to use my Watec in anger, working nights is a pain in the posterior when it comes to stargazing :(

Mark get a Watec or Mintron and connect to a CCTV monitor for the best picture then onto a laptop to capture the image.

Nice one Phil.

Not only is it a great image it also shows me what I am looking for.

People keep putting up advice on what to expect to see but as the old saying gos about a picture being better than a thousand words.

I now have the perfect reference.

Thanks

Graham

Archived