Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCB-2000 IR Filter Removal - Why do it?

PunkJay

Hi all,

I raised this on the previous forum, but did not really get to the point where I knew whether to remove the stock IR filter from the SCB_2000 or not.

I am primarily interested in DSO observing / imaging with the camera, however will do a bit of planetary/solar to make the most of my available observing time.

What benefit will I get from removing the stock filter? (i.e. brighter image, sharper stars, more detail?)

Thanks in advance and cs,

- Jason

I'm no expert in this area and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to expand / correct this.

My basic understanding is that much of the (red) colour seen in DSO images (nebulae in particular) is due to hydrogen alpha emissions at a wavelength of 656nm. The IR filters in Samsung CCTV cameras are apparently quite brutal and cut off at a wavelength well below this thus blocking off this colour. Removing this filter should therefore allow you to capture images with Ha colour.

It is also suggested that the nosepiece used to connect the camera to the scope is fitted with a high-quality astronomy filter that blocks at a higher level - which I believe is supposed to result in sharper images while still allowing the Ha wavelength through.

From what I've read elsewhere in this sub-forum, fitting a high-quality filter will also have advantages for planetary imaging but I may have misunderstood this and would prefer someone else to elaborate.

The Cloudy Nights forum has quite a bit of info on this topic in their 'Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy' sub-forum.

Archived