SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with C11/ NEQ6 and spectroscope

Finally got the CPC11 (OTA) with a Losmandy dovetail (and safety clamp) onto the NEQ6pro in the TSO (Tin Shed Observatory)

Fitted Bob's Knobs ( The head on the knob needs to be a bit longer to allow access with the fastar cover in place - more fiddly than on the C9.25!) and collimated. So far so good.

Then set up visually (32mm TV plossl) the new Spectra-MG80 spectroscope..came to a focus easily and bright spectra were visible on stars less than 6 mag (Pleiades).

Great start - something about "exceeded all expectations"

No issue whatsoever running the C11 on the NEQ6pro.

Hopefully tonight will be clear to put it through its paces.

I don't usually do much visual spectroscopy; it does however make you far more appreciative of the work the early pioneers (Fraunhofer/Huggins/ Lockyer/ Secchi etc) and the degree of difficulty they must have faced. Much easier nowadays with a CCD:)

I built my own for the C9.25 ( 50 x50 x3 aluminium angle) but this time I bought the clamp from Astrodevelopments. Works very well. Recommended.

M3 Losmandy Dovetail Safety Clamp -Astrodevelopments

I also got a reply from Bob (Bob's Knobs) - yes they are aware of the issues with the CPC11 but don't know how to solve it!! We've worked out a possible solution using smaller knurled heads - he's going to make up a set for me - how's that for service!

Archived