Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First try - don't be too harsh!!

Saata

Hi guys

This is my first image of the moon and I know it's not brilliant, but it's MINE!

post-21192-133877660991_thumb.jpg

(Hope I did that right?!?!?)

I was hoping to get some a little closer, but struggled with a x2 barlow - Couldn't get to focus... Any suggestions? I was using the Tal 100r.

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking first effort :)

If you can focus without the barlow, but not with, then you possibly need more back ("out") focus - an extension tube. As to how long it needs to be, disconnect the camera and slowly move it out of the barrel and backwards. When it's focused, you can gauge the extension tube length you will need.

That looks great nightfisher! Looks like I need some practice in post-production too :(

It's all a learning curve and I don't take any offence to constructive criticism, because otherwise, how would I learn? Could you let me know what processing you did to pull the extra detail out?

Thanks

Steve

That looks great nightfisher! Looks like I need some practice in post-production too :(

It's all a learning curve and I don't take any offence to constructive criticism, because otherwise, how would I learn? Could you let me know what processing you did to pull the extra detail out?

Thanks

Steve

steve, you might laugh at what i used, the picnik app on facebook, i find it very useful for simple lunar processing and its free and simple to use

As Kev's excellent work shows, a lot of the resulting image can be attributed to the post processing! For moon shots, I always try to control the highlights, and let the shadows take care of themselves. You can often bring data up out of the dark areas of the picture, but if the highlights are "blown out" or over-exposed, you cannot pull that data back. Blown out highlights are gone forever! This is especially true of a Full Moon shot, where the contrast is quite subdued and the highlights are very bright! Keep them below saturation, and increase the contrast in the darker parts of the picture, and you will have excellent results !

Jim S.

Archived