Over exposed Jupiter

I am a complete newcomer to webcams. I have an spc 900 and a skywatcher150 newtonian but using an az 3 tripod. I know the tripod s a bit light for the 150 but its all i have so far. I have just videod the full moon going past. Its a bit windy and even with an polarizing filter its full of glare but I can see things fairly clearly. I have now run the little notebooks batteries down trying to see anything of Jupiter apart fron a white ball and once 2 blurred moons. Barely visible. I have a pair of 20/50 binoculors and a couple of very cheap nasty eyepieces which give me far better viewing should I stick to model railways?!

You can adjust the exposure, hue, and brightness settings on the webcam using the many different webcam capture software out there. Your newt has a fast F ratio and combined with a webcam or eyepiece it will be too bright. For observing, a barlow lens will increase the F ratio (lower the brightness) and make the image larger for more detail. I think those will be easy fixes for you. The main issue is keeping Jupiter in your sights long enough to capture it with your webcam. I dont know if your mount tracks but it would make your life much easier, most people go for 2-3 minute avi's and stack the images. Jupiter moves fast at high magnification and it used to drive me nuts.

Thank youJohnny. Wrong telescope! The tripod has hand wheels so ican at least moveit. I think themain problem is the computer its apple. All the things ive putin for photos-kieths etc. Sit there not doing anything. I dont 'do'computers I ve got some televue plossls so i ll take up drawing. Thank you for the info.

Archived