Celestron Skymaster 20 X 80 Binoculars

There are a pair of these on Amazon and they seem quite cheap.

Is it a case of you get what you pay for, or are these hidden jems that will allow me to put my foot in the water for this winter's first foray into astronomy?

I've got a pair of 10x42 bins at the moment and I'm a little reluctant to fork out on a telescope at the moment in case it becomes another of my many dust gatherers.

Cheers

The Celestron binos have both good and bad write ups, but generally I read they perform very well. The increase to 80mm objectives from your 42mm set will really open up some dimmer objects! One thing you should take into account is these binos are HUGE and you will need a tripod to cope with the weight and the unsteady wobbling that the 20x magnification amplifies. Great price if you're looking at the pair I have seen.

One thing you should take into account is these binos are HUGE and you will need a tripod to cope with the weight and the unsteady wobbling that the 20x magnification amplifies. Great price if you're looking at the pair I have seen.

I saw this on youtube and went gulp

Good job I've got a manfroto tripod that will take a 6kg weight with ease.

Cheers

The only difficulty with buying mass-produced bins over the net is that you cannot check the pair before you buy. All mass-produced products have some problems with quality control consistency. If you get a good pair - they are definitely worth it. If you have to send them back once for replacement, you might as well have gone to a proper astronomy equipment shop and paid the difference.

Dan

Archived