suggestions for sites

garethmob

Mike- apologies but my map reading skills are pretty much non existent - could you give those co-ords in tne format I need to enter to Google Maps - I tried converting to hrs and mins with little success 51.501200, -3.333600

No appologies needed Steve.

I'm having trouble with google maps and the other formula for coordinates.

Not being very skilled when it comes to computers, I just can't seem to get it to function, and the page seems to lock up when I try.

No doubt its a procedural error on my part that I need schooling in.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No appologies needed Steve.

I'm having trouble with google maps and the other formula for coordinates.

Not being very skilled when it comes to computers, I just can't seem to get it to function, and the page seems to lock up when I try.

No doubt its a procedural error on my part that I need schooling in.

what a shame - unfortunately I need a lot of hand holding myself in this so can't help out but always enjoy looking at other peoples proposed sites- between us all we're going to get some gems I believe.

I can't make the next one Mat unfortunately - to be honest I think I'll make the once a month meets but not the fortnightly - we go away a lot in the summer months, but will be at the May meet - hopefully I take a look then.

I've yet to see the Casini Division in Saturn - not sure if its the equipment or just unlucky with the seeing so far - never mind - one day

Nothing wrong with your kit Steve. Its just down to the seeing conditions. I saw the cassini in my 6" for the first time at SGL7 because the seeing on the one night was the best I've had. Your 8" is a much more capable scope than mine. The seeing wasn't very good at the trecastle site the other sunday even though it was a really clear night.

Sounds great guys

For google coordants right click on where you want on the map and click what's here. It will give you the google coordants in the map search bar

Hopefully see you at the meets Steve:)

Iv just noticed your name mat:P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats the old Road between Bedlinog and Heol Adam which is the one that crosses Gelligaer Mountain towards Fochriw by the look of it Ant. I used to work in Taff Mertyr Colliery years ago just outside Bedlinog. Not sure if thats going to be a bit light polluted funnily enough as it sits right in the middle of the Valleys- with Merthyr not to far to the North and Cardiff / Caerphilly to the South -the area itself will be pitch black but the skies may be a bit washed out - but maybe worth a look though. I don't live too far away perhaps I'll take a drive up one evening shortly and report back.

Just a note:

Yesterday Bagnaj97 posted a thread on the Astro Lounge - related astronomy chat forum. The topic... "UK Observing Sites" - a collaborative google map.

Thought I'd mention it here.

Not many responses yet though Mike - I have mixed feelings about it myself (from the lack of response perhaps others are to?)

Hmmm, not sure what to think Steve ?

I do feel that there is a lot of enthusiasm in our South Wales group, and we are on a roll. :(

Its an odd thing but I see posts from our group on the main boards all the time but little from other groups. It may be that I'm just focussing in on the ones I'm really connected to or could just be that Welsh people are just basically very community spirited and enjoy talking (we're including you here as honourary Welsh for this purpose by the way lol) I just hope the enthusiasm lasts into the Autumn because the lighter nights and people going away on the weekends over the summer will no doubt slow down the participation levels we seem to enjoy at the moment.

Its an odd thing but I see posts from our group on the main boards all the time but little from other groups. It may be that I'm just focussing in on the ones I'm really connected to or could just be that Welsh people are just basically very community spirited and enjoy talking (we're including you here as honourary Welsh for this purpose by the way lol) I just hope the enthusiasm lasts into the Autumn because the lighter nights and people going away on the weekends over the summer will no doubt slow down the participation levels we seem to enjoy at the moment.

I think nowadays with the busy lives we lead, there's not always time to focus on our leisure interests as much as we would like ; and for some, Astronomy may not be the only interest.

A sense of community and spirit is one of the reasons I returned home to Wales, it sure wasn't for the weather (lol), though I do prefer a cooler climate. Although participation may slow locally during the summer, forcasts of clear weather can boost ones enthusiasm for sure, and provide the opportunity to observe along with persuing other interests on holiday.

That site by heol Adam to bedlinog ext is great for short bin sessions but not for main. It's a very active area with cars. There's a lot of lp from the major towns and from the open cast coal mine in Merthyr :(. I go up there a lot with work for getting to the different towns. Sometimes use my bins but it's a very busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i spoke to my uncle today about the use of forest drive

i mentioned about CAS using it and that our group (i mentioned we were a large group of people in the south wales valleys) are thinking of using the site but about the gate

apparently the gate idea is every camper is issued with a code so they can freely come and go

he said that it would be best to ring his maneger up (but he would have a word tomorrow) and ask as he did seem interested in the idea of it being used as long as we closed the gate coming in and out

so it seems like its going well i'll find his number tomorrow and give it a buzz

some bad news for cwmcarn

i phoned the maneger today (and my uncle talked to him ironicly just before i rang)

it seems theres a fishing club who use cwmcarns lakes but when the gate issue was brought up it seems they wouldnt be "trusted" and so unfortunatly we wont be allowed either. only campers will be issued with a code. obviously it wont stop us using the bottem carpark but the issue i mentined before with the place being locked n a short walk will deff be off expessially for large heavy dobs:P

so it seems a dead end for main meets people :hello2:

Hullo again, the site mentioned on my welcome thread is Coedypaen

Pontypool, Gwent NP4 0TH. The post code will should land you in a pub car park the farm is 450+ acres around it and a mile down the road. James has also invited me to bring along friends (the way i see it,the more the merrier) lol. Usually i just give him a bell to arrange and away i go. Dunno if any wants to go have a look one night (to check if suitable), but i'd be happy to arrange any time.

Archived