suggestions for sites

garethmob

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, sorry for the late report, hospital visits etc, anyway Gaz has given us a very fine and accurate report, Thanks for that Gaz

The high points have been mentioned and I think it's a good site especially if we can work the oracle and get reasonable access to the pit wheel car park; there is enough parking there also some tables nearby that offer improved accommodation

It struck me as being a safer site than I had perhaps anticipated and can be walked from parking at the Visitor Centre for binocular observations

The bottom car park might be ok for those of us with lightweight scopes etc but clearly for a group session it might be a problem all though it might be possible to help one another with kit as it wouldn't be necessary to go too far into the car park

Any way I would certainly recommend anyone who thinks they might be using the site either as an individual or small group for a bins trip to have a look at it in the daylight

If it were a cloudless night then it is likely to be better again

Gordon

Only one problem ganymede12 is them sites are fairly far away. It's nice to have a few sites (Dave and Steves. And that funny spelling one Steve just said) but not all of us can get up there. Might be better lookin closer to home as it would be more accessible to the most members

Don't stop with the ideas. Just see if there's any more local. That powys one is going to be at least 2 hours to 2 n half away from The valleys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WARNING! WARNING! Incoming Google map Co-ordinates!

51.764865,-3.655711

51.623765,-3.526525

51.750169,-3.10319 (opposite the Blaenavon site)

This time I used the map from the "areas where everyone lives in" thread to get a location that's a little closer to home :D

I'm obviously doing soemething wrong with this

the first site has a road which says no traffic between August and May and is at the end of a residential street.

The second one Google can't find a reference to and the third one I can't get to on street view so can't be sure whats at the destination point?

For the first site, copy and paste the co-ords into Google Maps and look for the green arrow. Do the same for the second site, remember you want to put them into Google maps, not Google search. Finally, for the third, well it's far from the town and there's a path but not a road. In fact Blaenavon is the only good viewing spot I've found which next to a road with street view. I'm just trying to get as many ideas possible. Most of them will probably fail.

As I said I'm just going on Google maps satellite view, finding flat/high areas that are fairly far from any town and posting the Co-ordinates on this thread. My theory is that If I get as many co-ordinates as I can then at least one of them will be good for meets! :D

What about here: Upper Chapel, Powys, Google map Co-Ordinates 52.107869,-3.516397

Anthony - sorry that is where I went in Epynt the first time - the skies there are the darkest I've ever seen - a better site again is if you stay on the same road but go up the hill - you'll come to an old disused pub - tHe Drovers arms - just before that perhaps 200 yards theres a hard standing on the side of the road (theres a JCB by it on google street view) - thats flat and you can get further back from the road and you don't have any of the views down into the valley and distant car headlights - its stunning - I know at least one other member in our group uses that site and I will go back in the summer but its an hour and twenty minutes for me- so you can add another half our on for our friends from Cardiff and Newport so like Gaz has mentioned - its great to have these sites for when any of us want to travel but it would exclude a fair few from a group meet. If your dad could take you up on a weekend- its well worth spending a few hours up there - the Milky Way will be stunning there in late summer.

Actually that does't look too far I'd say its just North of the Heads of the Valley rd towards Llangynidr but not sure where you would set up on that road and you'd need to have an idea of the traffic that uses it but it does look very panoramic and no doubt little light pollution.

I found an area near Ystradfellte Reservoir that interests me, just to the west over the hill off the Sarn Helen road. From what I could see on Google Earth & its street view, it may be worth a look. I'll try to check it out this week when I get a chance; couldn't tell if there were gates blocking off the side roads.

The general area is ...

51* 50' 12.00" N

03* 33' 36.00" W

You've got it Ant - thats the spot, its most weird though - I go to the Drovers and look and I can see the JCB, Move forward to the site and its gone, go past the site and its still not there - look back and there it is again- weird.

I found an area near Ystradfellte Resivoir that interests me, just to the west over the hill off the Sarn Helen road. From what I could see on Google Earth & its street view, it may be worth a look. I'll try to check it out this week when I get a chance; couldn't tell if there were gates blocking off the side roads.

The general area is ...

51* 50' 12.00" N

03* 33' 36.00" W

Mike- apologies but my map reading skills are pretty much non existent - could you give those co-ords in tne format I need to enter to Google Maps - I tried converting to hrs and mins with little success 51.501200, -3.333600

I agree Pete - secluded, dark and pretty good access knowing how remote it is.

The Epynt site is darker again though - although it was my first trip to really dark skies so could have just been the awe thing seeing so much for the first time- will have to try again later in the summer to reassess.

Archived