Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

The full moon,although reducing the visual display,lit everything up nicely.

It did ! Very nicely indeed. This evening the clouds here finally parted after weeks and weeks and all I could see was the moon washing everything out. But I'll forgive it this time 'cos it made you a perfect pic !

Have you considered submitting it to APOD ?

and I'm borrowing it for my wallpaper if that's ok :)

Malcolm.

Thanks Malcolm,i never considered APOD, it's just another aurora image.I'm sure they must get hundreds submitted every week.

Olly, keep your fingers crossed for this cycle !

There was an aurora in 198 ? hmmm, my memory is bad these days 85/86 thereabouts?, was spectacular here in SW England, all sky and coronal at times. It was seen in Italy and Sardinia I believe.

Malcolm.

Was that the November 1989 event you were thinking of? We had coronal aurora then in Warwickshire- one of my photos of that spectacular event below. I don't think there has been one as strong since?

Edit- you can see the The Plough (Ursa Major) in this shot which show the size of aurora rays.

AURORA_013.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99

Was that the November 1989 event you were thinking of? ,,, I don't think there has been one as strong since?
It could have been, thats a great pic., but I thought a little more mid-80s. It made the front cover of Astronomy Now, which I still have somewhere in the attic, another job for a rainy day !

I have found this ref in JBAA to an event Feb1986 which is also a contender HERE

Thanks Malcolm,i never considered APOD, it's just another aurora image.I'm sure they must get hundreds submitted every week.
Not all that many really and yours is artistically and astronomically up there with the best, in my humble opinion, ! , and the aurora did its bit with the shape !lol!

Regarding The last big aurora display,IIRC there was a KP9 event around 2001 that was seen in France,i remember watching the vortex aurora right over our heads and seeing the long bands of aurora all the way down to our southern horizon.

Stunning as always Stewart!

Not just the aurora, but the thought that goes into the foreground.

Nice one :(

Ant

Another beauty there Stewart, looks like we could have more on the way. CME erupted earlier today, the prediction is for the 17th early hours. :(

post-21702-133877661695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glen

Another beauty there Stewart, looks like we could have more on the way. CME erupted earlier today, the prediction is for the 17th early hours. :(

[ATTACH]67993[/ATTACH]

Well the last one surprised us with a 7,so heres hoping.Its the weekend to so no probs with having to stay up till sunrise.

Given your location you'll be hoping for some 9's

That is just perfect in every way. I would have loved to have seen the show Stewart. I love the reflection of it in the water combined with the mistiness caused by the long exposure.

Regards

Kevin

Thats a great pic, I'd love to be able to take one like that!

I'm sure you could.

Its all down to the 3 L's. Location,luck and errrrrrr more luck.:glasses2: