Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentland Firth Aurora

After missing out on last nights KP 7 storm due to the permacloud

a miracle happened and the sky cleared,unfortunately there was no repeat of the KP 7 but this view over the Pentland Firth will do for me.

The full moon,although reducing the visual display,lit everything up nicely.

IMG_4382flickr.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is a wonderful shot , i would think one of the best i have ever seen :):icon_salut::):icon_salut::(:icon_salut::mad::icon_salut::):icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

You're to kind HH.

I've been bravely battling man flu most of the week so it was all a bit of a struggle,every time i bent down to look through the viewfinder i thought my head was going to burst.The lengths we go to to get a photo.:evil6:

That is beautiful, awesome picture. I knew about the solar flares and i've been on holiday this week but with all the bad weather i didn't want to risk going all that way for nothing, do you know what the KP rating was when you took that picture? Please could you say what camera settings you used too? Thanks Stewart

Fabulous picture. Really pleasing to the eye, not just because of the aurora.

Will be having a quiet week in Banff in October, and am so hoping that I will be able to catch the Aurora from there. It's one of those "must see" things that I have not yet seen.

every time i bent down to look through the viewfinder i thought my head was going to burst.The lengths we go to to get a photo.:)
Dare I say well worth your suffering ! :( ! That is a superb photo, :) I echo all the other comments, I especially like the composition with the rocks.

Hope your flu clears up quick.

Malcolm.

That is beautiful, awesome picture. I knew about the solar flares and i've been on holiday this week but with all the bad weather i didn't want to risk going all that way for nothing, do you know what the KP rating was when you took that picture? Please could you say what camera settings you used too? Thanks Stewart

Cheers Jamie..The KP was either 4 or 5.Spaceweather said 4 and Calsky said 5 so it was somewhere around there.I would guess it was at 5 when i took this shot because the activity increased dramatically for about 20 mins or so.

As for the settings,AGS has got them right from the exif file.

15sec, F4, ISO 1600, FL 22mm.

There was probably no need for ISO 1600 but the 5DMKII handles high ISO's pretty well and its a setting i'm used to using.

I was also hoping to do a timelapse of 10 second images after i had got the individual shots i wanted so i would want to keep the ISO high to keep the exposure length shorter,wasnt in the mood for sitting around for a couple of hours.

As it was i got about 100 shots and had to stop as the display diminished to a green glow with very little movement,not ideal for a time lapse.

Simply Stunning Stewart...

Looks like your in for a battering in the next 24/48 hours though :)

Peter...

Cheers mate.I think we'll miss the worst of it,nothing more than 30-40mph winds but it looks like my son in Greenock is in line for 60-70mph winds.

Magnificent. I've just bought a DSLR, so could you tell me what kind of lens and exposure you used for this image?

EDIT: According to the JPEG: 15sec, F4, ISO 1600, FL 22mm.

Thanks Ags .I was using a Canon 17-40L lens and Canon 5DMKII

Thanks very much for all the info Stewart, it really is a fantastic picture, i'd have been more than happy to have made the trip for it! Hope your feeling better too :)

Jamie

Cheers Jamie,fit for work...........unfortunately:evil6:

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Love it! I have never ever seen an aurora.

Olly

Olly, keep your fingers crossed for this cycle !

There was an aurora in 198 ? hmmm, my memory is bad these days 85/86 thereabouts?, was spectacular here in SW England, all sky and coronal at times. It was seen in Italy and Sardinia I believe. Got my wife and daughter out of their beds to watch, not best pleased at first but were soon ohhing and ahhhing ! :)

I had only caught 2 small events in all the years before that one. Lot easier to catch these days with internet alerts !

Malcolm.

Archived