SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion zoom MK111

Charon

It seems to be a little more complicated than it needs to be, but the 1.25" barrel should unscrew. The barrel is screwed into the very flat knurled ring at the base of the eyepiece body, which in turn is screwed onto the wider ridged ring below the smooth part of the body with the writing on. You can take of the barrel and the flat ring off together by gripping the flat ring.

Once those are off, the 2" barrel screws onto the bottom of the eyepiece.

Sorry, I hope you can work out which bits I'm talking about. I think they make it so complicated because each combination of bits offers different connection threads...

Andrew

Do it very carefully - it unscrews in an unatural direction (clockwise) but you have to loosen the retaining ring first (clockwise). It can all be done by hand - but I took pliers to mine cos I confused the threads. It still works fine but looks a mess now lol :)

Ohh and it leaves you with a 31mm ep by the way - but still zoom'able.

I can remove the 1.25 on my 36mm Aspheric this is quite straight forward (he says ha), but as for the zoom it looks as if the inside part of the 1.25 has to stay put. I maybe missing a trick here but I do not want to attack it with my pliers. I just wish Baader would include some instructions as to what you can do with these EP's.

You don't have to remove the 1.25" eyepiece.

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf (See page 5)

2“ Upgrade Kit (Order-No.: 2454824C) for Hyperion-

Clickstop-Zoom-Eyepiece, consisting of Adapter-Ring M45

/ 2“ thread and our 2“ eyepiece barrel.

With this kit, every Baader 1 ¼“ Hyperion Clickstop-Zoom

Eyepiece can be upgraded into a 2“ Zoom eyepiece.

Just screw the M45 adapter ring (it is labelled #2454824C) onto the bottom of the hyperion and then the 2" barrel (or 2" nosepiece as they also call it.) The threads are orientated normally - i.e. "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey". Voila, a 2" eyepice ready for your CPC800's 2" diagonal. I can't remember if anything was initially screwed onto the bottom of the hyperion before screwing on the M45 adapter ring.

Hmmm..... thought I knew all there was to know about the hyperion zoom - oh well - back to the drawing board. (I was acting on retailer advice in mitigation lol) :)

Remind me not to buy any of your kit on the for sale board lol:rolleyes:

:)

If I am unable to remove the 1.25 part of the zoom then it is not a 2" EP then is it? It is just a 1.25 ep that will fit into a 2" diagonal etc If this is the case I am not impressed.

Do not worry Mark I have not attacked it yet, nor will I until I know the facts:)

Often when eyepieces that have a small enough true field to fit in a 1.25" barrel have a large body, manufacturers put in a 2" barrel simply to offer a more secure holding of the eyepiece. Other examples include most of the Ethos line (dual barrel), 12mm Type 4 Nagler (also), 9mm ES (2" only) In the case of the Hyperion zoom, they have given you both options, but not both at once. The 1.25" barrel has to be removed to fit the 2" barrel and vice versa.

Nereid, there is no need to be disappointed - you have made a good purchase of a very versatile eyepiece which you can use as 1.25" or 2". Using it as a 2" doesn't give it a larger true field of view or anything, but can be more convenient and secure as you don't need to use an extra 1.25" adaptor. As we have described, unscrew the 1.25" barrel either by holding just the barrel, or the slim knurled ring at the base of the eyepiece body, then the 2" can go on. :)

Enjoy your eyepiece - excellent choice for your scope!

Andrew

Andrew,

I have only used the Zoom with my ETX80 it gave me some fair views of Saturn and in my newboy opinion great views of the Moon. I have yet to use it with the CPC800 (only arrived out here on Mon) due to me being ill. I hope you are right about the Zoom as my choice of EP's are quite limited at the moment.

"Remind me not to buy any of your kit on the for sale board lol:rolleyes:"

Lol - don't worry - I won't be offering the zoom for sale - it's one of my favourite bits of kit :)

Just checked - I was using it right after all lol. For some reason I thought the 1.25" adaptor had a lens set in it - and it doesn't d'ohh. But do take care with the threads as some of them are reverse to what one would expect :)

Yes Kim, I will not be taking nothing off the zoom, I will use it with the 1.25 part in place as Colin quite rightly said.

Moon so bright here tonight I have cancelled my first light with the CPC800, if it's not one thing its another.:)

Ok Dex lol - put the 2" diag on and the 1.25" adaptor, then slip the zoom in. Once the gps has locked on send it to Jupiter. Center up using the 20mm or 16mm click stop then slowly wind it up to 12mm or 8mm. Should look nice if the moon is well out of the way :)

I do use Sky Align yes. In alt/az mode (and once the GPS has locked on) I use Two Star Align. Just point at any bright star (you don't need to know the name of the one you're pointing at) and center finder then eyepiece. Then pick another bright star about a third of the way across the sky and repeat. Soon as it says "Alignment Sucessful" you're good to go. Sometimes I used a planet and a star or even the moon lol :)

The handset procedure after switch on will take you through it one step at a time. But most of the time now I use Wedge Align followed by EQ North align wich won't apply to yourself unless you get an equatorial wedge for it :)

Archived