Narrowband

Hi from Hugh

Hugh

Hi everyone!

Having read many many posts as a guest I thought I'd go legit and become a member. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge shared here, it has been really useful.

I'm now the proud owner of a Nexstar 6SE (comes with 26mm plossl), and have been really impressed with my first "detailed" views of Saturn and some of the clusters and galaxies that I've never seen except in books....

(The beauty of the galaxies owe more to my imagination than the magnification/resolving power of my current setup tho').

I'll be checking out some eyepieces to get more from the 6SE. I've looked at of your contributions on the subject - almost too much to choose from, but there are some favourites that keep cropping up. TV, WO, TMB, Vixen etc etc - it seems that you do get what you pay for in most cases....

That said, does anyone think that a 11mm TV plossl would be a sensible next purchase?

(One thing I have realised is that there is always a next purchase......)

I look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

Best regards

Hugh :sunny:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hugh and welcome to SGL,

I have the same telescope but have taken a different approach to eyepiece selection. I bought the Revelation set which has 6 EP's (6, 9, 12, 15, 20, and 32mm) as well as 6 filters, all in a very nice case and a bargain at £90 (including SGL discount). I know these are not top quality EP's but I figured that these would give me the opportunity to play around with different powers and this way find out which I use the most and then invest in quality. So far I'd agree with Steve's recommendations as I use the 32mm a lot (really like the FOV in this EP). Next favourite is between the 12 and 15mm EP's (barlowed or not). I haven't had the kit very long though and the seeing has been very poor so I'm not firm in my choices yet. Do you have any opportunity to try out other magnifications by borrowing EP's from anyone? If so, I'd give that a go before spending £70 on one EP.

Cheers, Martin

[Edit] BTW just saw the Revelation set advertised on Astro buy and sell at £50 - This is marked as still active although it was first placed in January - wish I'd seen it before forking out £90. The link, if you're interested, is http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=10475 [end of edit]

Thanks for the warm welcome people, and the advice.

I'm going to try a couple of lanthanums and some meade plossls over the next couple of days - clear skies permitting...

I'm also tempted by that Revelation set for £50 (thanks Martin) - they're still active - anyone got any thoughts on these ep's?

I'm definitely ready for more than 60x but I don't want to rush in :?

Cheers

Hugh

Hi All,

Thanks for all the posts, after much reading, researching and checking the wallet, I've gone and bought the 11mm TV Plossl. £40 which didn't seem too bad for a "mint condition".....

There's a lot to eyepieces isn't there - I've had a good old delve into the technology but had to remind myself that;

a; I've got a mortgage

b; I can only look thru one at a time

c; I've got a mortgage.

I think the 11mm plossl will work well, I only wear glasses for small print reading not for observing so I'm hoping there's enough eye relief, (there was certainly wallet relief when I stopped looking at radians ....)

Anyway, just cooling the scope off now for a peek thru the clouds (using the 25mm e-lux supplied - can't wait for the tv to arrive) :bounce:

Thanks for all the help!

Hugh

Like you, I don't need glasses for observing, and I never have any problem with eye relief with the 10.5mm TV Plossl or orthoscopics, which have less eye relief. You're right, there's a lot to eyepieces, especially as some are clones of each other, dressed up to look different. At least with Televue you know you're not getting a copy of something else.

Archived