SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

the areas every one lives in

garethmob

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Let us all know if you find a Dark site on the Gower, we all suffer from Light pollution to the South (M4 corridor) 

It would be good to view some of those Messiers on the Horizon.

Hi valleyman

I remember many years ago taking my kids down there to see a comet (So long ago I forgot which one). It was a new moon, pitch black and thousand of stars. 

Not sure if its still like that down there, I guess so because building is very restricted on the Gower peninsular.

Cheers

Scorp 

Hi  Sandraj,

Hope your in a non-light pollution area of  Carmarthen. I know there are some very bright spots around the Black Mountains.

Cheers

Scorp.

Its ok where I am, the only downside is this weather lately, rain, clouds, rain and more clouds  :cool:

Let us all know if you find a Dark site on the Gower, we all suffer from Light pollution to the South (M4 corridor) 

It would be good to view some of those Messiers on the Horizon.

Hi valleyman

I answered this thread when you posted it, but I forgot to press 'Post'.

I remember many years ago taking my kids down the Gower to watch some night sky event. 

Can't remember what it was, probably a meteor shower or comet.

It was a perfect night, a very small amount light pollution from the distant Swansea City, fortunately it was in the opposite direction to what we were viewing.

Don't know if its the same these days, but the building regulations on the Gower Peninsular are extremely strict, so I guess its still the same. Just keep away the sheep and ponies :laugh:  :laugh: 

Sorry about my original mistake

Wishing you clear nights

Pete. 

An occasional visitor to the Blaenavon site and a very occasional visitor to the Gower. I haven't taken any scopes to the Gower as yet, but it could be a plan for the autumn if a suitable venue can be identified.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of nice spots on the Gower. One is on the common not too far from Swansea Airport, but far enough so light pollution isn't a problem.

Another spot is next to 'King Arthur's Rock' (I believe this is a local nickname, used by modern day druids during the solaris Etc.)

Both are easily accessible by road.

Unfortunately, travelling from N. Bristol, you would have to be certain of the weather conditions. It would be a shame to travel all this way to find an overcast sky.

Once the weather clears a bit I will check out the sites, just to make sure nothing has changed over the years.

Cheers

Pete.

Pete,

Thanks for the heads up. A spell of good weather in the autumn might be a good excuse to venture a bit further afield. I have finally sorted a light shroud for my big dob so am itching to use it somewhere a bit darker than my back garden.

Dave.

Hi Pat,

Cords for Arthur's Stone :-  51 degrees 35'  36.05 N.   04 degrees 10' 46.43 W.  Elevation 147M.  Good 360 Degree visibility so anyone needing to do Polar Alignment won't have any problem. Don't know how it compares to Brecon (5th best place in the world) I've never been there after dark, but hardly any obstruction (if any) viewing wise. 

The B4271 will take you directly to it, plenty of free parking space on side of road (Little used at night except for the occasional lovers (Keep your camera directed towards the Sky LOL)) 

If you use Google Earth, there are quite a few photographs around that location. 

Fairwood Common , on the start of the Gower, has got some dark spots, but can become boggy after rain, last for quite a long period. Need a long hot summer to dry it out. 

Cheers

Pete.

• 5 months later...

Archived