Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

showcase of unprocessed screen grabs

garethmob

hey guys, i started a thread in the social group but i thought id do it here

sadly i still havent had chance to give it a go but i know a lot of you have

the only rules here

all pictures must be "unprocessed" but live "recorded" videos are also accepted

defined :) raw images taken either directly from the laptop screen or by external camera........must not be photoshopped or edited in any way

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol i no what you mean peter :) the idea is similar to the "competitors forum" it might bring more members into our fold if we post what we can see directly with out any milipation. i guess basic like everything u can do on the camera would be fine, and in the capture software like sharpcap be ok, but anything which involves proper editing in any other external program i guess wouldnt

Ok here we go first lights from the SCB-2000P - the camera has had the filter removed... Captured on the NC10 via Video-2-go USB dongle usign Sharpcap

CPC800 SCB-2000P with TS 0.5x 1.25" reducer and Baader Planetarium UV-IR Cut (because I took the IR filter out)

I hadn't got the Brightness and contrast setting sorted ...

m57%2014_08_2011%2022_21_41.png

m13%2014_08_2011%2022_50_07.png

Yes the glob is M13.... I didn't really know what i was doing and I have "upgraded" to a the 1/2" SCB-4000 as well but haven't pointed it at the sky yet...

I also have a f6.3 and f3.3 SCT reducers to try out... and the cameras on fracs...

I was guiding the SCT so was able to use the noise reduction in the camera.

Peter...

"upgraded" to a the 1/2" SCB-4000
I have just googled that and the SCB-2000P, I didnt know either. So, , I am gobsmacked, ~£200 and £90 approx ?

excuse me everyone - dumb question time ! >

These are live 50Hz type video (or perhaps 25Hz), or are you doing something clever to up the frame rate from 1/50 sec.

Doh! EDIT : I meant reduce the frame rate ie. up the exposure !

The whole Video Astronomy thing has rekindled my interest... ok thbe images are never going to win POW or be magazine quality.. but they are essentially "instantaneous" in imaging terms.. and can be easily shared with a group of people... or viewed from the comfort of the living room :)

Some say that the images can look better on old Analog monitors rather than LCD's

The whole Video Astronomy thing has rekindled my interest... ok thbe images are never going to win POW or be magazine quality.. but they are essentially "instantaneous" in imaging terms.. and can be easily shared with a group of people... or viewed from the comfort of the living room :)

That's very much the appeal for me too.

I've ordered a little 7inch TV on offer at Maplins to go with my watec :) I know the watec is supposed to more sensitive, but I DO like the colours in your shots Peter - so maybe a little Samsung later :)

Helen

I have both the Watec and the Samsung and I usually use the Watec for it's increased sensitivity and better image quality.

But like you say, sometimes you do miss the colour, so the Samsung is a perfect companion.

I also use a 7" monitor - I can't tell you how much I prefer it to booting up a computer.

Tim

Another vote for the "old" analogue TV monitors. I've yet to see a better image on a laptop for instance. Another point, sky conditions, particularly moisture, have a significant effect on the performance of these cameras. As does temperature, much more difficult to get good images in Summer than in Winter.

Archived