Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

rocketandroll

Suffolk imagers?

As a newbie, desperately needing to absorb others' vastly better experience, I'd be up for joining you all too. I'm part way between Bury and Ipswich, willing to travel :)

I am near-ish Bury on the Ipswich side as well. (About 15 min past Bury). Wherever works fine for me as well. Hopefully we will have some clear nights soon!

I'll tag the Jaffa Cakes onto the grocery order then, I like it when a plan comes together!

Hello east anglians, well just read Ben,s thread and Newbourne sounds good to me, although quite a run from Clacton. We have a campervan and hopefully would like to find a good dark campsite up northish Ipswich way, this means you folk will have to dig out yer tents and sleeping bags HE HE HE. What do you think ?

Bob

Plenty of campsites around this neck of the woods!

Carlton Meres has struck me as a possible - they have plenty of space set away from the main caravan areas (with power hookup) that could be suitable for a mini-star-party type event.

I have to confess, I've never been there on a clear night to be 100% confident of the sky quality, but it would certainly be better than my Ipswich back yard!

Just had a look on Google Maps. Just the job, though I would imagine we would have to book up.

I've only got last season to go on, but from my experience while the caravans seemed to be well used, the camping fields were all pretty quiet. On a couple of occasions we had pretty much an acre to ourselves - and we only needed to book a week in advance.

Can't guarantee it'll be the same this year however - but maybe worth a go?

would definitely be of benefit to me at the moment to meet up with fellow stargazers who can give me some pointers on how to best use my scope, as I'm sure I must be doing tons wrong!

Im living in Lowestoft but have a seaonal caravan pitch between Felixstowe and Ipswich (with lovely dark skies). You'd be most welcome to pop to the site one night and take a look, have a drink and chit chat.

Chris

Futher to my last post....Our caravan site is totally rural...No LP, no night lights, no screaming kids...Only the odd bevvied up idiot (me)...The site caters for seasonal pitches, tourers tents and it has a luxury static for renting also. Anybody wants further details PM me.

Chris

Just joined sgl and found this thread. You will find that oasi has changed greatly recently and we do now meet at newbourne village hall every fortnight as well as at the Nacton observatory.

We also have several active imagers of all types including myself who regularly organise trips out to local dark sky sites.

For those near Debenham we will be attending the street fair next Sunday so come and say hello.

Check out our website and associated forum.

Www.oasi.org.uk

Good luck Dave, how da

rk is Nacton ? I visit relatives sometimes in Manningtree so not much further up

Good luck Dave, how da

rk is Nacton ? I visit relatives sometimes in Manningtree so not much further up

Not too bad considering it is close to Ipswich. However we don't image at the observatory as it isn't really suitable. Our newbourne meetings are better (and darker) but for serious work we go a bit further North up the coast. I also use my own observatory for deep sky stuff. Would be glad to see you some time. just get in touch.

• Like 1