Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suffolk imagers?

rocketandroll

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello east anglians, well just read Ben,s thread and Newbourne sounds good to me, although quite a run from Clacton. We have a campervan and hopefully would like to find a good dark campsite up northish Ipswich way, this means you folk will have to dig out yer tents and sleeping bags HE HE HE. What do you think ?

Bob

Plenty of campsites around this neck of the woods!

Carlton Meres has struck me as a possible - they have plenty of space set away from the main caravan areas (with power hookup) that could be suitable for a mini-star-party type event.

I have to confess, I've never been there on a clear night to be 100% confident of the sky quality, but it would certainly be better than my Ipswich back yard!

I've only got last season to go on, but from my experience while the caravans seemed to be well used, the camping fields were all pretty quiet. On a couple of occasions we had pretty much an acre to ourselves - and we only needed to book a week in advance.

Can't guarantee it'll be the same this year however - but maybe worth a go?

Futher to my last post....Our caravan site is totally rural...No LP, no night lights, no screaming kids...Only the odd bevvied up idiot (me)...The site caters for seasonal pitches, tourers tents and it has a luxury static for renting also. Anybody wants further details PM me.

Chris

• 2 years later...

Just joined sgl and found this thread. You will find that oasi has changed greatly recently and we do now meet at newbourne village hall every fortnight as well as at the Nacton observatory.

We also have several active imagers of all types including myself who regularly organise trips out to local dark sky sites.

For those near Debenham we will be attending the street fair next Sunday so come and say hello.

Check out our website and associated forum.

Www.oasi.org.uk

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good luck Dave, how da

rk is Nacton ? I visit relatives sometimes in Manningtree so not much further up

Not too bad considering it is close to Ipswich. However we don't image at the observatory as it isn't really suitable. Our newbourne meetings are better (and darker) but for serious work we go a bit further North up the coast. I also use my own observatory for deep sky stuff. Would be glad to see you some time. just get in touch.

Archived