SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WOOOOO a video astro group! :)

garethmob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once I get a chance to get up and running and am able to, I think it would be good if we could begin a thread where we can show "screen grabbed" images or snapsots of our live video data unprocessed which I'm sure will impress and surprise others who haven't dabbled in this dark art, showing what can be seen from light polluted back gardens. I know having looked at these images on other Astro forums, it has blown me away on many occasions what is possible with these cameras and think it would only add numbers showing an interest to this topic which can only benefit us all in the future.

• 2 years later...

Excellent heres my question hopefully someone here can help,

the cheapest Samsung SCB2000p does colour and b/w,

is b/w mode more sensitive ?

can sens up be used on both colour and b/w ?

James

Actually the answer is:

the cheapest Samsung SCB2000p does colour and b/w, - YES

is b/w mode more sensitive ? - NO

can sens up be used on both colour and b/w ? - YES

The reason I say NO is because it is still a colour sensor.

The sensitivity remains the same. It just shows the image in Greyscale. It is the same as turning down the colour on your TV.

The sensor has a Bayer Matrix over top of it.

For an increase in sensitivity you need a Monochrome sensor  :smiley: 

They have no Bayer Matrix.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all.

I'm absolutely new to video astronomy, but I'd like to use a sensitive video cam to capture images of deep space objects in real time for educational purposes. The purpose-built cameras, like the Orion unit, are around $500, which is more than my budget. Someone gave me a nice little color camera on a chip (Sony Super HAD). Although it was sensitive, there was no way to modify it for longer exposures. I see a lot here about the Samsung SCB2000, which is definitely in my price range. I assume I have to do some significant modifications to this camera to adapt it for video astronomy use. How well does it stack up against the purpose-built cams? Does anyone here have a suggestion as to the best place to get the information I need?

Thank You and All the Best,

Brian

Brian welcome to the video section of sgl..modding the scb2000 is very easy..ken (Dragon man) has a tutorial thread on the ir filter removal on a post in the video section ...and its easy. .decent screwdriver required. ..next is you will find probably every answer you have on va can be answered on here...we have a vast amount of info on most mods on scb2000. .and the members of sgl video are brilliant and will get back to you quick time...the forum has swelled in ranks over last few weeks and lots of new ideas being tested continually. ...only place to be for va. ...Davy

Archived