Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a Collimator

E_ri_k

Hi Guys, need to get myself a laser collimator for my 10 Inch reflector.

I was going to go for the Orion, or HOTECH Laser for around $100, seamed reasonable.

From all the posts I read It seams that any "cheap" collimator around the $100 mark wont give good results, as the lasers are easily misaligned, and need adjusting, which some people found difficult.

A lot of people recomended brands such as Catseye, Kendrick and Astrosystems.

Any recommendations?

Certainly would recommend the Hotech. First, it is possible to collimate it, which I prefer and have already done so because I am a nerd and like to fettle with kit though to be honest, it really didn't need it. Second, it's real selling point is sadly NOT the black snake effect box it comes in :) but that fact that it centres itself in the focuser via a compression fitting. Any other manual way of fastening it (eyepiece screw) will fractionally push the collimator to one side and hence errors can be created. It comes as 1.25" but there is a 2" adapter you can get should you need it. Ensure you get the new cross hair version as it makes alignment easier than using just a red dot who's brightness can obscuring the target.

James

Thanks James. I read all about the self centering and the compression fittings, which is a more accurate way of fastening it. There seem to be so many different opinions out there about different collimators, and loads of variables which affect collimation. Guess it depends on how "picky" you want to be. The Hotech looks like a good choice though.

The Glatter has received plenty of great reviews that sing its praises and I probably would have gone for one myself but couldn't find a supplier in the UK (too expensive to import one for myself).

Either product will leave you very satisfied.

James

Archived