SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20x80 Binoculars Tripod Recommendation

phw26

Hi all,

I have a pair of Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars with a fixing screw which slides up and down a central bar for balancing. Can anyone recommend a tripod I could use these on as they are quite heavy and also with enough height so I don’t have to crouch down, I am 5.10

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi

Sky At Night magazine did a tripod test a few years back and the Horizon 8115 2-way heavy duty tripod came highly recommended. I use one for small scopes and have put several large bins on them and have had no problems at all.

The tripod itself has three-part telescopic legs with rubber stoppers to give a secure grip and to dampen any vibration to a minimum. It also has an extending centre rod that allows viewing objects at zenith. Fully extended the tripod is approximately seven feet tall. It comes with a metal base plate that fits into a recess and is held in place by a tension clip.

The tripod is widely available on the net and from astro and photography suppliers (I bought mine from AstroFest a few years back) and costs £80-90 including base plate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks John, just had a look at it at Harrison Telescopes site and it looks impressive. Do you know if i will need an adapter bracket for it to fit my bins.

Thanks for your advice

Peter

Do you know if i will need an adapter bracket for it to fit my bins.

I don't know about using the horizon tripod with your bins but I needed an horizontal mounting bracket to use my old 20x80 bins, without it the objectives would catch the head and I wasn't quite able to close them enough to use them.

ScopeTeknix Horizontal heavy duty binocular mounting bracket

Archived