Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRAIL Delta II Launch

Superewza

Currently at T-~20 minutes and counting until the first instantaneous launch window, you can watch here:

NASA - NASA TV

or here in HD:

NASA HD-TV, Ustream.TV: If you are watching from a mobile device or slower connection, watch the Mobile Feed for NASA Television Here NASA TV airs...

EDIT: T-4 hold, weather looks no go for first window, moving to second...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
first instantaneous launch window,
What is one of those ? Is it a very short duration "window" and if so what are the reasons for this, usually launches have at least some duration to the window, am I being dumb/missing something ?

I am searching the nasa site now but maybe someone here can help find the answer for me.

Edit : NASA>"Instead, the smaller moon 'went splat,' forming the contemporary far side highlands. "

and "splat" is another technical with which I am not familiar ! LOL!

Ta.

Malcolm.

Instantaneous being 'lasting one second'. Either it launches when the T-clock reaches zero, or it doesn't at all until the next window. I presume it's to do with it being a lunar mission, and as such needing to use as little fuel as possible, and to do with the fact that the spacecraft has to release GRAIL A and GRAIL B at different times on slightly different trajectories, which can only be done at certain times, or else they wouldn't be in the right place or would go off in a different direction entirely.

Is there anywhere i can read these stories you allude to in your sig? :D

Oh, and for people who don't already know, the launch attempts today were scrubbed pretty early on, weather is 60% good for tomorrow :)

Either it launches when the T-clock reaches zero, or it doesn't at all ...to release GRAIL A and GRAIL B at different times on slightly different trajectories
Ah yes, I see, thanks, that all makes sense.

I had a little involvement in Giotto to Halley and in Ulysses, my field was telecomms, but power and weight budget for the launches was a big constraint,

so we watched the propulsion guys with interest lol;)

We were not I dont think tied down quite that far!

Is there anywhere i can read these stories you allude to in your sig? :D
You're the first to notice ! (but they are not in the realms of War&Peace !lol!)

The dead 6" is partly told in my intro in the welcome section : "old 6" still in attic but aly coat is in sorry state needs re-doing"

I built it in the 196.'s and it did for me ok till about 198? when it got put into storage (other commitments) got it out about 4y ago and oh dear very sad !

The bino story is unpublished yet :) but involves some bad driving in France by my future (to be) father-in-law and my bino in suitcase on the roof rack. He was confused about right and left ;) All very mundane but a sad loss they were good as a bino.

Archived