SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice about Dobsonian telescopes....

I am looking to get a small dobsonian telescope, will be my first telescope, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what to look for and if anyone has any links for some that would be great too.

Also how much should I look to spend to get a decent one?

There are a lot of people out there that will buy a scope having never looked through one first. Please don't rush into buying equipment as the stars aren't going anywhere. In stead, contact your local astro club or observation group to see when they are organising public observation sessions. Its only when you have looked through some kit that you are able to establish your own datum line of what will satisfy your expectations. Their are a lot of specifications to get your head round concerning focal length, aperture, parabolical mirrors and the different types of scopes which will have their advantages and disadvantages.

I don't believe in the notion of a 'beginner' scope only on one that works properly in meeting your needs. To that end, when you do make a decision, please buy from a reputable retailer who can help guide you through potential problems. Most of them are in fact astronomers themselves so they will understand where you are coming from. Be wary of buying scopes from Ebay, be they used or new and always stick to the well known manufacturers as will offer you best value and their name will help you resell your kit should you want to progress into something larger. The key thing is to look through some kit to get a handle on how it works. Can always buy some binoculars in the meantime which will you will always use in the future.

Clear skies

James

Thanks James, I borrowed a friends Newtonian telescope for a year so have a bit of experience and also used some dobsonian telescopes at Kielder star camp last October. I do prefer the dobsonian, they are far easier to use. I will look at going to somewhere to look at different options and speak to someone in the know. x

For £80 pound more you can get the 8" which will allow you to see fainter objects and is worth it for the extra money. It might be hard to transport though as it is the same height but wider i think. Anyone agree?

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p - Unboxing, building and some add ons

The 8" Dob may be all the scope you will ever need. The 6" is lovely and would be good for a year or so, but the 8" is quite a big step better, well worth the extra £80 I feel. After 8", pounds (both lb and £) increase faster than inches.

i personally opted for the 8inch skywatcher and love it. i also was unsure over whether to spend the extra on goto etc. i chose not to, but instead bought a few eyepieces, the baader hyperions which go well with the scope imho.

ultimately it comes down to personal choice and portability

hth

I agree with everyone a 6" or 8" dobsonian will serve you well i personaly own a 6" dobsonian and it is a fantastic scope although i would say to either get the 6" or save up another £80 ish for a 8" which will provide a little better views through the scope than the 6". Which ever one you go for leave a little extra id say around £30-£100 for eyepieces, star maps etc. But which ever you buy you wont be disapointed. hope this helped :).

It's only personal preference but I do like the Auto tracking versions. You can move them manually or with the handset, and soon as they're on target it stays central in the eyepiece for a good 35 mins or more before drifting. Gives you a lot more time actually looking at the object without having to move the scope every 90 secs or so. :)

(And they're upgrade'able to "goto" in the future)

the skywatcher 8" dob was mmy first scope and i loved it i would highly recomend getting it.i only sold it due to some issue in the house but 18 months on and the first scope i bought again was a 200p just mounted it this time. what ever you choose im sure you will enjoy and be patient it all comes together :)

Archived