Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photo and Visual Astronomy calculator

Andrew*

I know there's tonnes of astronomy calculators available online, but I just thought I'd share the spreadsheet I've made, that I use for my most common visual and photographic calculations.

It has:

- a basic aperture/focal length/focal ratio calculator

- a focal ratio comparison (telescope "speed")

- a grid for inputting your eyepiece/barlow collection to show each eyepiece's magnification, true field of view and exit pupil

- a photographic angle of view calculator for lenses or telescopes

- hyperfocal point (infinity focus point)

I've pre-loaded the calculator with common equipment as an example (8" newtonian, 80mm ED refractor, DSLR chip etc.), but you can put in your own kit data and save it. You can change all the grey squares, but don't type in the white or coloured squares as it will over-ride the calculation formula.

I'll happily add any other popular calculations if people will find it useful.

Notes:

- True field of view is given in arcminutes

- the second column in the eyepiece grid is based on a barlow multiplier, which you can enter in the top left box (K4).

- when exit pupil exceeds 6mm it turns orange/red

- the diagonal camera chip/sensor size is automatically calculated from the vertical and horizontal sizes

- the visual Circle of Confusion is calculated from the focal length and ratio and is based on the diameter of the airy disc in green light.

Andrew

Astronomy Calculator.xls

• 2 weeks later...

Archived