Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Antares new Rich field Telescope..

Antares 905 90mm f5.5 rich-field refractor OTA only.

New! Antares 905 90mm x 500mm f5.5 rich-field achromatic refractor. Optical tube assembly complete with enhanced reflectivity 1.25" mirror star diagonal, 2 x eyepieces (K25mm & K9mm). An 8x21 finder is included and upgrades are available. The tube has a fitted dovetail for attachment to a wide range of popular telescope mountings such as EQ1,2,3 etc.

Looks a nice Telescope for wide Field observing/Imaging slightly more power than the ST80 too, what you think guys?

James :clouds1:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol twilight zone again Grant?

I was thinking my next camera would be good with this as a quick Astro grab n go imaging scope :clouds1: at 90 quid cant go to wrong can ya?..

Thanks for placeing the links i forgot :clouds1:

James :clouds1:

Yes Gaz they do matey

Question: They have a 70mm Mak for £79.99 - is this a good complement to my 8" Newt?

Depends i suspect the F ratio is quite high maybe 10 or more i think a wide feild scope would be better suited to your F/5 if smaller app is on the cards. Or a bigger scope with high Focal Ratio hence use the Skywatcher as a wide Field .

Just IMHO...

James

Question: They have a 70mm Mak for £79.99 - is this a good complement to my 8" Newt?

I don't see that it gives you much TBH Daz, with the CO you're looking at the performance of a good 60mm 'slow' refractor...

I got caught up in the "grab'n'go" thing and tried a few portable setups, but I found that I was either in the 'mood' for astronomy or not. If was in the mood then I'd get my main scope out, if I wasn't then I wouldn't bother even getting out the small gear.

Gaz

at 90 quid cant go to wrong can ya?..

.. unless you find you don't use it ..

Sorry, I guess I'm in one of those devils advocate moods but when I look at it I just see another small scope that, in time, people will be queuing to part-exchange. 

I'll try and be more optomistic tomorrow :clouds1:

Steve

Sorry, I guess I'm in one of those devils advocate moods but when I look at it I just see another small scope that, in time, people will be queuing to part-exchange

I think you could say that about any scope Steve  :clouds1:, depends what your intentions for using the scope are really, personally i wouldnt mind it as a good widefield setup for the Canon 300D.

James :clouds1: :clouds1:

Actually the interesting scope on the Scopes'n'skies website is the Sentinal 80 semi-apo. And that price of £219 is an absolute steal for a really cracking scope. That scope is identical to the William Optics Zenithstar, Orion USA Express 80 and Telescope House Revelation 80. Off course the main difference is it beats the pants off them for price.

Sky at Night reviewed the Orion version this month and couldn't praise it enough, especially for digital imaging.

Now did i promise i wouldn't look at anymore kit....[removed word]!!!!

btw that 70mm f8.5 Mak would actually make quite a nice little imaging scope. As Gaz said, taking into account the CO, you're left with a 60mm f8.5 scope with zero Chromatic Abberation and good star images (just like a 60mm Televue refractor). Now that would sit nicely on top of the C8 with the 300D (or Minolta 5D) attached to the rear. While using the C8 to guide with.

Now my mind is in a pickle.

Russ

Actually the interesting scope on the Scopes'n'skies website is the Sentinal 80 semi-apo. And that price of £219 is an absolute steal for a really cracking scope. That scope is identical to the William Optics Zenithstar, Orion USA Express 80 and Telescope House Revelation 80. Off course the main difference is it beats the pants off them for price.

Sky at Night reviewed the Orion version this month and couldn't praise it enough, especially for digital imaging.

Russ

I read the S@N review, I could n't make out how it could be called a 'semi-apo' (a dodgy term at best anyway! :clouds1:)?

Hi Gaz,

Yeah semi-apo is a bit cheeky. It's only an achro with good coatings on the optics and nicely designed baffles.

Swings and roundabouts choosing between the 'semi-apo' and the 80ED. I think that article said that the optics were better (but not by much) on the 80ED. But these semi-apo's were better in every other area. But really it's all the things an imager would be looking for.

I do see the appeal of a small compact scope. Loved the Intes. And while I owned the Skymax 127, i never once bothered setting up the Newt. I don't think I would own a Newt again. Had 6, only really enjoyed using one of them and that technically wasn't a Newt but a Dob. I find them great on the floor as a dob. But awkward and cumbersome on an EQ. And a royal pain in the behind when imaging overhead and the focuser is miles from the laptop. I wasted a lot of clear nights because i literally could not face using the 10" Newt. After owning an EQ mounted SCT (or Mak), a Newt loses all appeal.

But that's only my experience and i know a lot of people would not swap their Newts for anything. :clouds1:

Russ

Yeah semi-apo is a bit cheeky. It's only an achro with good coatings on the optics and nicely designed baffles.

Also, there is no accepted standard for determining when an optic is apochromatic ... its left for the manufacturer to decide.  I remember when the lens manufacturer, Sigma, produced a range of Apo lenses.  Their rival, Tokina, simply shrugged their shoulders and put APO labels on their lenses.

Steve

But that's only my experience and i know a lot of people would not swap their Newts for anything.

It's funny i have been looking for a scope as you know and i always seem to come back to the 8" reflector just seems the perfect scope for me. A smaller scope would be nice for those quick peeps and wider field of view imaging..

James APO :clouds1:

Yeah i think the 8" hits the spot nicely. Not too big and cumbersome but plenty of light gathering power plus a wide(ish) field. I would say an 8" SCT hits the spot but I can't help wanting a C9.25.

Russ

Archived