Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WOW its just so big!

garethmob

u could buy a large 4 bedroomed house with a small garden for that much!

Where?! $125000 is about £80 645 which wouldn't buy anything round here. The cheapest property, on a quick search, that I found near me was £86000 ($133300) for a 1 bed flat.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Large SCTs are crazy unless you live in dark skies and have an observatory. That Meade weighs in at 640 lbs and sets you back around $40k. The alternative is a 20" Dob: weighs ~150 lbs or less, costs <$10k, and it's one-person portable. You get a much larger FOV too. Fork out an extra $3k and you get tracking & goto.

Those Orion ultra-massive Dobs aren't being produced, btw. They had design issues, I believe.

Here's a shot a scope builder (Midnight telescopes, IIRC) and his 18". Actually, this is a pretty heavy OTA. It's 120 or 150lbs, I believe. The guy's obviously built like the hulk to be picking it up like this.

post-22221-133877659676_thumb.jpg

I bet he's saying, "For God's sake, blumming hurry up wiht that picture otherwise I'm going to drop the lot!" :):D As great a scope as I'm sure it is, it's not the same without blue overalls. I'm going to see if Steve at FLO can order some in - it has to be done!!!:):D

James

But what's it for? The focal length is monstrous so the FOV is always going to be tiny. A twenty inch is a twenty inch. Go for an F4 or F5 Dob and you can get a seriously useful 1 degree field. As for imaging, I doubt that it would be terribly good. You have to beat the seeing and there are more serious optics out there for the well heeled. Karel Teuwen, who actually uses all this expensive stuff, seems to say that the Dream Telescope (the brand) is the one. Meade? Well, I won't be placing any multi thousand dollar orders. They've had my 2.5K and that's all they'll be getting. It isn't bad but it isn't remarkably good either. Gendler, Croman, R Jay Gabany... can they be wrong?

BTW, our 20 inch cost £1.4k. I don't pick it up and dance with it, though!!!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit that the title of this thread made me chuckle in a Carry On Observing kinda way. But that was nothing compared to the guffaw which was prompted by this promo shot on the Webster website.

C28_f27_sm.jpg

A modern classic I think you'll agree.

• 4 weeks later...
It's either that or a 25"+ dob for the money. I would probably be tempted for a huge amount of aperture and get the dob if I had the choice, and a really large stepladder :)

For that price 30"+ Dob and a small step ladder.

You could have a 30" ground to about f/2.8 for that price.:D

Steve

Archived