Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More processed Saturn

geoff_k

A definite improvement over recent attempts, but Saturn is proving to be a pesky little (big) devil at the moment.

The first is a combination of two AVis about 2500 frames in total, processed in Registax 4 and curves applied in Photoshop. Done via eyepiece projection using a 10mm, Europa 250mm, ATIK camera with IR filter.

The second is a single AVI of about 1000 frames but this time using the 4x Imagemate.

post-13129-133877326981_thumb.jpg

post-13129-133877326983_thumb.jpg

Its interesting Geoff that you manage to get good banding detail but at theslight detriment of the rings whilst with my C8 its the opposite.

Maybe this is because you use ep whilst i use a barlow,i would be interested in your coments.

Kai

It may be something to do with the ATIK camera which seems to produce bluer images. As you say, it seems to be a trade off between disk detail and more realistic looking rings.

But hey, I like the pictures. I think we can be too harsh on ourselves. My camera lost less than 200 quid, and the telescope less than a grand. Ten years ago you would have had to look at books to get images like that.

See the new post on an image I discovered from the 1970's to see how far we have come with very modest equipment. I don't think any of us are doing that badly in the circumstances.

Geoff

Dont get me wrong,its not a critisism of your images more a comparison to mine.

Which Atik camera do you use ? I have a 16 (on its way back after repair hopefully) and will dabble in doing LRGB images to see if i can get a better image than the toucam.

It amazes me the quality of the images i (we) take and with very little outlayin comparison to 20-30 years ago

Kai

No offence taken or implied. You do some impressive images. I was just making the point that we all tend to do ourselves down a bit and I don't think we should.

The camera I have is an ATIK 1C II bought from the inestimable Bern at Modern Astronomy. I don't think they do them any more. I'd like a better one, but they are all bit beyond my budget at the moment.

Geoff

Very nice indeed Geoff

Its interesting Geoff that you manage to get good banding detail but at theslight detriment of the rings whilst with my C8 its the opposite.

Maybe this is because you use ep whilst i use a barlow,i would be interested in your coments.

I think this has more to do with the processing. I find that wavelets 4, 5 and 6 in Registax emphasise the banding, whereas, 2 and 3 bring out the finer details in the rings. I think the telescope/camera combination also has a bearing on this.

Regards

Nick

Archived