SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why is space black??

lol light reading? I sat there for half an hour trying to grasp the theory behind it. Lots more reading to grasp the theory behind redshift and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Now that I've started I must know more about why the sky is black! Because it's true, you would think that with all of these stars, the night sky would be lit up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

back to the original question.... ;-)

Black isn't a colour at all. It is the absence of (visible) light. So everything that does not emit or reflect light appears black (dark) to us. So space appears black at places where no light is coming from in your line of sight.

I have a real problem with statement. It is a statement made on numerous occations by respected scientists. How can it be justified? Space is some 'thing' and as such can not be perceived to travel faster than light relative to a stationary observrer. It seems a cheat of Einsteins ideas. I can understand superluminal speed can happen because of the perspective of observing. But surely nothing can be perceived to travel faster than light relative to me as an observer. Even in entanglement of particles, no particle is actually traveling faster than light. Please can someone try and convince me otherwise.

Space is Nothing and this is the key and its the Nothing that expands.

A point can be moving away from you faster than the speed of light but not actually be travelling at the sped of light because the nothing in-between is expanding independent of the objects.

But the 'nothing in between' must be treated as something akin to an object or objects within a larger void and of such has a limit to momentum relative to a stationary observer. Imagine a hypothetical train travelling on a track at C. If expanding space is analogies to other trains behind it giving it an extra push , the maximum speed that leading train travels relative to a stationary observer is still C.

The track is stretching and the further it stretches the more its stretches.

Two trains are going on this track at each other head on , but the stretching is faster than there speed so the trains never meet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived