SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A small Jupiter

legion48

Encouraged by Trudie's recent succesfully Jupiter image, I had a go myself this morning. I set he alarm for 04:45 and by 05.15 I was ready to image.

By 05.16...disaster struck! I was loosening the little screw in my Clestron Ultima x2 barlow, ready to attach it to the webcam and duh! It must have been pretty loose already because it suddenly flew off into the undergrowth. :D Never mind I thought, I'll use the cheapo barlow that came with my scope and find my little screw when the sun is up.

2nd disaster! :lol: I just could not achieve anywhere near decent focus with the cheapee barlow and have yet to get a halfway decent image from the avi's I took.

3rd disaster! The sun came up, what, 9 hours ago? I still haven't found my little screww thingy! :lol:

4th disaster - nothing to show for all the effort - was narrowly avoided as I just had time to run off a couple of avi's with no barlow as Jupiter was lost to view behind some trees :D Although all the avi's that where overexposed to show the moons were done with the barlow, so they are useless. :D

So here it is, a very small Jupiter. BTW, this was the first time I'd seen it through more than 10x50 binos. Very impressive and I counted 4/5 moons.

la439884.bmp

Resized by 125% so as not to strain everyones eyes too much

Nicely done sir. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I have lost a filter and can't find it anywhere so I know how you feel.

I think you only saw four moons at most. The rest are well beyond the range of most amateur equipment.

Geoff

Looking good !! 8) Very impressive (also impressive is your dedication to your hobby :shock: mind you I was up til 02:00!)

I had the same trouble with my Celestron Omni Barlow - how I wish i'd cut the grass the day before :D

I managed to find some M3 screws to fit from work. They are ridiculously long (25mm) but they serve a purpose! Give me a shout if they are suitable and you want some??

Bill£

Thanks everyone. :D

I have given up trying to get anything from the barlowed avi's and decided to try resampling at x2 in Registrax. I post the result here not because it is particularly good but because it is the first time I have had ANY kind of a result with resampling. I think it's because I haven't got the hang of using my RA drive yet and so my avi's start at top left of screen and generally finish at bottom right. I don't know why I had a semi reasonable result this time. :?

l9d67474.bmp

Nice image Legion48, I'm still to even view Jupiter through my scope, let alone image it!!! Hoping that later in the year it'll be in a suitable position and rise early enough at night for me to have a go, work commitments prevent me from 'wee sma' hours' viewing. :D

Clear skies,

Gary

Here is my Sunday morning Jupiter combined with an overexposed avi that shows 3 moons - from left to right Europa, Io and Ganymede. At least I think that's what they are according to http://skytonight.com/observing/objects/planets/3307071.html?page=2&c=y skytonight.com and their Java applet that shows the Jovian moons for any time/date.

Incidentally, according to the applet, it seems that Io will transit Jupiter at about 05:10 tommorrow morning and will take 2 hours to cross the planet. Anyone up for the challenge of trying for images, clouds permitting?

Vvd46149.bmp

Archived