where is best near me?

singlespeedman

Being new to stargazing with anything other than my eyes I am starting to get pretty hooked. Loving to star gaze when I am fishing I am now outside in my back garden every night too. That will be a bit better once the council sort out the light illuminating by back garden as the pollution will be pretty minimal then.

Anyway - back to my question. I live in Verwood, East Dorset and have gazed at the heavens from the c.a.r.p. lakes at Poulner, the lookout at Moors Valley and from the top of Poulner Hill on the way to Burley (got very misty very fast).

Is there anyone local to me who can give me any tips on good locations near to me for quick sessions. I am thinking of trying mount arat in Ringwood Forest as I could walk that with the scope in about 20 minuted from my front door and it is almost totally above the forests treeline for view purposes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

to be honest I am a little put off by the idea. I am tempted to swing by the astro party in Salisbury when it is on as that is only a 20 minute drive from home. There is a local club in Wimbourne, just down the road from me, but the website seems to portray the club as a little stiff for my tastes.

I was the same with my local society, but I plucked up the courage to go along a few months ago. I can honestly say that I wish I went earlier! Obviously, it depends on the club - but I have met some realy nice people who go out of their way to help me in any way. See what Wimbourne is like and you may be suprised!

just checked my LP map, if you can get to anywhere north of a village called "Cranborne" you will be in skies as dark as you can get, for your immediate area.

Being new to stargazing with anything other than my eyes I am starting to get pretty hooked. Loving to star gaze when I am fishing I am now outside in my back garden every night too. That will be a bit better once the council sort out the light illuminating by back garden as the pollution will be pretty minimal then.

Anyway - back to my question. I live in Verwood, East Dorset and have gazed at the heavens from the c.a.r.p. lakes at Poulner, the lookout at Moors Valley and from the top of Poulner Hill on the way to Burley (got very misty very fast).

Is there anyone local to me who can give me any tips on good locations near to me for quick sessions. I am thinking of trying mount arat in Ringwood Forest as I could walk that with the scope in about 20 minuted from my front door and it is almost totally above the forests treeline for view purposes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Singlespeedsman,

I was like you and was nervous of going to my local astronomy club.

I thought that my complete lack of knowledge and having only a small telescope (and even that I did not know how to work properly!) would make me look a bit stupid.

How wrong I was....

From my first visit I met a complete range of people who were willing to help me. (Well, there was one member who was a bit stuck up! He had to have the biggest telescope, has seen and imaged everything in the night sky, and has an impressive range of gagets all still in thier boxes!, but every club has one of those!)

As I said, on my first visit two members sat down with me and showed me how to get the best from my scope, and they even bought me a beer!!

I would strongly urge you to give it a go ... you really do have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I have never looked back.

Archived