SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova SN2011fe in M101

Astroegg

A quick location steer to find the Pinwheel Galaxy, M101, which houses the recently "hatched" supernova SN2011fe (a.k.a. PTF11kly) - should anybody have a clear sky and the chance to go looking for this. Best time to see it is just after dark whilst it is still high in the sky. (Approx 50° declination). I hope everybody has better luck with the weather and light polluted skies than I do.

As apparant magnitude was reportedly around 9 yesterday, and brightening each day, it could soon be within the capability of ordinary 7x50 binoculars.

post-23941-133877656504_thumb.jpg

post-23941-133877656496_thumb.jpg

That little chain of stars stepping up from Mizar-Alcor is quite easy to see in a set of binocs. If the SN continues to brighten, it will look like an additional star in the chain! That will be exciting, indeed !

Jim S.

I caught it last night in full moonlight washing all contrast out in my Meade 127 EDT. I could just make out the core of M101 but the sn was obvious. To confirm I checked by dropping in the Mintron in place of the ep and at full integration I could just make out some structure of M101 enough to confirm that what I had seen visually was indeed the sn.

Philj

Archived