Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 with fuzzy bits

MartinB

This has been a real struggle over the past 2 months. Captured over 4 nights in short spells between clouds. Despite everything I did have some decent seeing conditions. I really wanted to capture the outer halo and include some of the OIII that's in there. I used 30 min subs, if I'd had reliable nights it would have been 1 hour since the background was still pretty dark and I wasn't really getting over the read noise hump.

There is a lovely guide star for the SX AO unit which saw me guiding at 10 cycles per second

Scope: 10" LX200R at F7 (Celestron 0.63 reducer)

Camera: QSI 532 ws + SX active optics

Filters: Baader 7/8nm Ha and OIII

Captured, calibrated and combined with Maxim. Deconvolved with CCDStack and processed in PS. Ha mapped to red and OIII to both green and blue. I used a luminence made up of Ha and OIII. Quite hard work processing with a lot of returns to the drawing board but happy with it now.

post-12794-133877656459_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic image Martin, but almost unrecognisable as M27 since so much extra nebulosity is being extracted from this planetary nebula.

Not complaining of course, it's testament to the capabilities of the equipment, techniques and skills of the astrophotographer of century21. I was just so familiar with the old hourglass shape :).

Ron.

Fantastic image Martin, but almost unrecognisable as M27 since so much extra nebulosity is being extracted from this planetary nebula.

Not complaining of course, it's testament to the capabilities of the equipment, techniques and skills of the astrophotographer of century21. I was just so familiar with the old hourglass shape :).

Ron.

Here you are Ron, without the dim bits :(

post-12794-133877656468_thumb.jpg

Fantastic Martin... love that extended nebulosity that Ron sort of meant 'unfamiliar' with and me too.... :D

Stunning stuff... did you benefit form the last 3 unbroken nights likes Dave Smith and the Essex peeps.. ??? :)

Lancashire & Irish sea was cloud magnet for us in the NW as usual. . . . might be good for Blackpool's illuminations but for us in the rest of Lancashire its a nightmare ..

slightly off topic...

When the cloud comes in and the luminations are on I can see the lazers and spot lighths here in Penwortham, borough south of Preston and 25 miles east of B'Pool crow flies ... Thankfully its over by 11PM..

For TBO NW coast Lancashire observers and imagers.. :(

Blackpool Illuminations What time is switch on? - Blackpool Lights 2011

Stunning stuff... did you benefit form the last 3 unbroken nights likes Dave Smith and the Essex peeps.. ??? :)

That would have been Nirvana Guy! No it was 2 hours grabbed here and there. My last session was Thurs 1st Sept when I managed 7x30 min subs, my best session for over 2 months!

Forgot to mention Ha 10x30mins OIII 9x30mins

Thanks for the nice comments everyone

Fantastic M27 :). I allways like to see the OIII in the outer shell (because there is lot of OII signal there).

The AO seems to do a great work. It will be in my shopping list (that should be specially great in the astrometry department).

Congratulations Martin!

Cheers,

paulo

Archived